Sign in to follow this  
Blaklabel313

2.0l 16v timing problem??

ok heres the story,

ive recently bought a spare inlet manifold,top and bottom and a rocker cover. i had them polished and the bottom part of the manifold powder coated. Today i replaced the old ones with these shiny ones. I swapped over the injectors which was a ball ache to say the least because they wouldnt come from there seating so i had to swap the brass nutty thing they sit in aswell. anyway when i had finally put it all back together i turned the key.....and....it fired up sounding like it was missing quite badly, i waited a minute and it didnt get any better, so i blipped the throttle and hey presto it cut out. Now when the key is turned the engine turns but doesnt fire up and it sounds odd. what im thinking is could i have knackered up the timing some how when changing the parts.....can anyone shed some light on the situation???

can't see how you could affect the timimng by doing the cover and inlet, but you should have put new O rings on the injectors, the old ones may well not seal properly now, did they all pop back in place easily enough?

yeah perfect as far as i can see, just added a little lube to help them, i cant see a leak but if there was one the engine should still fire up i guess.

I'm assuming you're manifold gaskets are sealing properly, did you use new ones, particularly for the head one.

The only similar symptom I've ever had was a strange air-lock in the fuel system, car would try to fire but die instantly, in the end priming the system several times by turning the ignition on an off but not all the way to fire the starter cured it, can't remember if that was after the system pressure had all been released though from major engine work.

well it would appear that i have no compression in 3 cylinders so....... engine is in the process of being stripped to find what is causing the valves not to fully shut. Just like the good old corrado to ask for a crimbo prezzy hey!! an engine rebuild...GREAAAT! lol