Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

battery re-location

hopefully this weekend i have access to some proper 4 post car ramps, so i want to do the battery re-location while i have the use of the ramps. Sooooo what will i need to do this job?? and what is the safest way of doing it??

my main concerns are.

1, what cable should i be using??

2, where is the best place to earth the battery??

3, what size in-line fuse will i be needing??

4, anyone wanna do it for me????????? :lol:

and anything else that iwill need???

thanks

karl

Karl, why do you need a ramp. I just took passenger seat out and run it under carpet. 200 amp cable be fine, a 150amp fuse

and to earth it just use seat belt post. you can get all you need from Demon Tweeks, i used the superflex cable.

Braille Battery.JPG[/attachment:1f86swmh]

cheers guys, i was "told" by an auto electrician that is was best to run the cable under the car, and hold the cable on with P clips. so that is why i wanted to do it this weekend using the ramps.

cheers guys, i was "told" by an auto electrician that is was best to run the cable under the car, and hold the cable on with P clips. so that is why i wanted to do it this weekend using the ramps.

Are you aloud to do this??? I always thought power had to be inside and petrol / brake fluid underneath???

Are you aloud to do this??? I always thought power had to be inside and petrol / brake fluid underneath???

well that was was i was told/infrormed to do!! that is why i ask people on here, who have obviously more brains than a qualified auto technician.

and while your being very helpfull Shaun (again :) ) i have found/ordered everything from demon tweeks apart from the 150amp fuse, which one did you use?? and where did you put the fuse on your car??

many thanks

karl

Just for you karl, put my fuse rite by the battery, some people put them both ends. Its up to you.

I got my fuse holder and fuses from Wurth, as i know the rep well :)

You can just see the fuse here on the battery tray

tray in.JPG[/attachment:16mqgdae]

I have fuses at both ends to be extra safe :-)

As for fuse rating, it needs to be more than the starter motor will draw under cold cranking, so nothing less than 150amps.

I would run the cable under the carpet and use 0 gauge. I only get 0.03V voltage drop down 3.5 meters of 0 gauge.

Where the 0 guage passes through the bulkhead, use a proper compression gland and not a cheap crappy grommet. You can get compression glands from B&Q.

I don't want to preach but if you get any shorts with 0 guage to the body, the results can be catastrophic!!! So be very thorough ;-)

Nice connection boxes Shaun, where did you get them?

Erm, I think Digger maybe asking why as in why move the battery to the boot? :lol:

And erm, yeah, I overlooked the demon tweeks text, LOL!

Erm, I think Digger maybe asking why as in why move the battery to the boot? :lol:

And erm, yeah, I overlooked the demon tweeks text, LOL!

Spot on mate.....thats it deeeerrrr . :)

and to answer your question mate,most lads with FI VR's that go down charge cooler route need the space for the cooler to locate where the battery is located hence mooving it to the boot..

dame i hate you Shaun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I know :lol:

You going turbo james

already started mate...waiting on bits to arrive 8) still wont ever be as gleaming as your bay !! 8)

Shifting 20Kg of battery and stock fan weight off the nose also helps the handling balance a little too 8)

dont forget the extra 16kg i have also saved with the carbon fibe bonnet 8)

just waiting for all the parts to arrive, from the very helpfull people at demon tweeks, then i will crack on with this job.

16Kg!! Didn't realise they were that heavy!

Have you heard of this place? - http://www.seiboncarbon.co.uk/

Shame their VW selection is limited (MK4 Golfs it seems), but CF wings, tailgate, doors and bonnet would be hell of a weight saving. The Corrado doors must be getting on for 50Kg with glass?