Sign in to follow this  
latestarter2

cooling system

after reading all the posts (including mine) about all the various problems with colling systems..can anyone explain why a company like vw (who have a reputation for quality supposedly) should make a car with a heating and cooling system made of chocolate?

The rest of the car is brilliant,the ride, the traction, the engine just great...but they seem to have decided " tell you what chaps we've done everything else great lets bugger up the heater stuff so we get some servicing revenue in" and they've stuck a playmobil system in..its such a shame

sigh..well whinge over i'm off to try and fix (yet again) my heater switches so i get warm air all 4 settings not just level 4 (the controls arent even a year old) and try to understanding why despite £100's, new parts and many hours its still losing water!!..Good job it's a bloody gorgeous car to drive anywhere isnt it..lol

Your not wrong..have just replaced two water flanges, water pump, expansion tank and cap, heater matrix, and will be putting a new radiator in soon as it keeps getting blocked.

Only thing I can think of is vw prefer air cooling to water!

J.

Is it a VR6?

If so, it is one hot m0ther. :lol:

yeah mines a vr6...and im still not convinced the fans are working properly. The temp hovers around 95 100 then when standing still hits 110deg and the fans cut in..should they come in earlier..whole expansion tank was empty this morning..explains the warning light anyway :(

When system is working OK, many of us run on the open road with VR6 showing water temp only 70-80C. I think mine rises to 100 or so in traffic in summer half of year. (Not using it this weather).

Heater blower only working on speed 4 is separate issue, I would say. It is to do with rheostat/resistor thingy needing replaced.

I have not had overheating with my C, but have replaced parts in cooling system lest they did pack in with age.

Having major issuess with mine overheating, but have found 2 easy fixes. One vag com it and make sure coolant sensors are okay. My fan cuts in at 86 degrees on the vagcom readings, not the temp gauge in the car.

The cap on the expansion bottle is cheap and regulaly fails so for a few quid change it anyway.

Mine has just thrown it's water everywhere whilst ontop of a mountain here in Portugal. Felt just like blighty. About 6 degrees, cloudy and raining. Split top hose so not major.

have fun

Dic