Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Fitting a new PCV/Oil breather, crank case thing..

Anyone replaced one of these with the single Ford part rather than the whole thing that VW sell.

One side is held on with a jubilee clip but the other seems to be crimped on, whats the story with these crimps, take it they are one shot and thats it.

Whats best way to get them off without damaging the hose and does it need crimped again or will a jubilee suffice

Cheers

I've not managed to remove the crimp thing without destroying it.

I believe a jubilee will be fine, but get the right size or it'll not seal well.

TBH they're a pretty good seal just push fitted.

CHeers for the reply, what method do you find best for removal of these things.

I got the impression it should be a good seal with no clip but my engineer friend said it will be their for a reason...namely vibration :lol:

I got a couple of clips from B and Q, take it these are ok and you dont get special ones for cars do you.

Oh and is it normal for there to be oil if you follow that hose back towards the bulkhead where it bends up to the big fat air pipe?

I shoved a small screwdriver into the crimped bit and opened it out enough to un hook the end from the hooky things. Which might make sense, or might not.

Nah, any old jubilee will do, as log as it's the right diameter. Too big and it'll go triangularish and not work well.

I shoved a small screwdriver into the crimped bit and opened it out enough to un hook the end from the hooky things. Which might make sense, or might not.

Nah, any old jubilee will do, as log as it's the right diameter. Too big and it'll go triangularish and not work well.

Yes makes sense, thats why I started to do yesterday when got back to the house later on, was bit worried about damaging the hose and it was taking a lot of force to budge, will have another bash at it tomorrow.

I got a pack of some 18-25mm ones and some smallers ones that were just loose, samller ones seem a better bet.

Did you do anything with the small hose that goes into the top, mine was crimped but wasn't exactly tight

I just shoved mine on, think it was a snug enough fit I wasn't too worried. Chuck insulation tape round it if you're worried, but I don't think mine has escaped since.

Did find that my S shaped pipe to the inlet trunking was split when I changed the pcv thing, so it'd be worth inspecting yours closely. Mine recieved a generous portion of insulation tape at that stage... :lol:

Yes thinking this could maybe be the same, do you know if this can be had from Ford, at this rate would have been as well paying VW the 70 odd quid they wanted for the lot lol