Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Do I need new leads?

hooray - my car works again and is on all four wheels for a change! - only snag now is that now i've also put a new coilpack on it and had the head steamcleaned the leads are arking onto the head - have wrapped the metal parts of the leads in a V thin layer of insulation tape and got the leads securely on the plugs and as central in the holes as possible, but they are still very faintly doing it (you can only see it in darkness) - i'm guessing that means new leads being as now i've got a new coilpack and plugs as well... (either that or i could rub some soil on the sides of the bores in the head to stop it from earthing!)

I had a bit of this action. Took the leads off and cleaned them and gave them a coat of WD 40 and they were a great deal happier. I made sure I cleaned inside the cap as well so they made good contact with the plugs.

if you look really closely from where the ark starts you will probably see a tiny split/crack.....mine had 2 but like you said it could only be seen in the dark. i bought some new performance leads as i was going to change them anyway but standard leads are good anyway. seeing as you have changed everything else you might as well complete the package.

cheers for the replies gents - don't really want to spend anymore cash on the car at the moment, but i think i'll go for some new ones, as i'm unsure of the age of my leads, but i think they're pretty old now - chazrad recommended some dubsport leads to me and they are apparently cheap too, so i'll give them a ring and see what they quote me...

I'm not sure soil on the engine is a good idea as you might find some potatoes and maruana growing under the bonnet after a few weeks!

The VW leads are very good but also very expensive.

So long as the leads you buy have Bremi metal ends and Beru coilpack ends, they should be fine. VW also bond the wire to the boots at both ends to completely seal them, so another thing to look for.

I'm not sure soil on the engine is a good idea as you might find some potatoes and maruana growing under the bonnet after a few weeks!

The VW leads are very good but also very expensive.

So long as the leads you buy have Bremi metal ends and Beru coilpack ends, they should be fine. VW also bond the wire to the boots at both ends to completely seal them, so another thing to look for.

cool - very helpful, cheers - like i say, chazrad uses the dubsport leads on his charged VR, and after talking to various other people, he's heard nothing bad whatsoever about them. The coilpack i just bought from GSF had beru stamped all over it - which is nice!

cheers again

Leads from: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_electrical.php are apparently OEM ones with the correct ends despite the low price!

I just bought a set of dubpower 7mm leads from http://dubpower.co.uk/VR6%20parts.HTM (you need to email em to order) as they came in slightly cheaper delivered. Will report back when I've fitted em.

Don't get Eurocarparts or GSF 40 quid ones they are not as high quality.

cheers for the reply - chazrad recommended the dubpower leads to me, so i recon i will go with them - when are you getting yours? - would be good to hear back from you before i splash out on my own...

got the dub power leads and fitted.

What can I say they are leads! and fitting them confirmed my missfire is not down to my old leads.....

The only issue is that they do not work with the lead removal tools - they have an "extented lead pull" i.e. the rubber end extends up the lead a bit. this makes them more difficult to install and remove than the usual method of using the lead tool. the "extended lead pull" is not quite long enough......

Hence I wouldn't buy them again for a standard car, I'd go for the VW spares ones. Although it depends how often you are going to pull your leads I guess - I will probably be doing it a lot until my missfire is fixed so they are going to get annoying.

cheers for that - that's strange they don't work with the lead removal tool - looks like they should in the picture on the dubsport website???

i've just looked on the site now and i can see - they haven't got the cut out in them for the lead tool to slip around and turn - that's pretty crap and annoying - how much of a performance benefit do you recon that you will get over the standard leads from those - i'm guessing bugger all, in which case i will order the ones from AVS...

Sorry to hear that mate. Now you know why I'm always harping on about OE parts being the best.

The Schimmel performance ones are the best 'aftermarket' leads I've seen though, but not as easy to get hold of being American.

You won't get any performance gain at all from leads mate. The differences are in the quality of construction and service life. The OE ones are top dog where that's concerned.

Theres even a note included in the packaging to say they won't work with lead tools.

No mention of this on the website.

I think you'd get no noticable performance benefit on a standard car - the advantage is these are silicon so I thought they would be a little more flexible and last longer (i.e. wont go hard like normal and inflexible ones do after a few years).

my car isn't totally standard - it has a magnex cat-back, K&N panel filter (replaced horrific sounding induction kit) and a remap - running 203bhp, so not heavily modified, but not standard all the same

hmmm - descisions, descisions.....

i shouldn't need to be removing the leads much now i've got new iridium plugs and new coilpack, but still - that does sounds pretty gay about them being more difficult to install/take off, but then i have heard nothing but good things about dubpower leads - i also have small, girly hands, which helps lots when fiddling around with cars!....

still not sure - what is the price of the leads from AVS do you know - haven't rung them yet and the price isn't listed on their site for a coilpack variant.....

Dunno will probs be a pound or so cheaper if at all.

The leads are the same except ones for dizzy cars are slightly longer and you will get a redundant king lead.

are they really that much of a pain in the arse to remove, because in all honesty i find the plug lead removal tool a pain in the arse - i know it's simple and easy - just annoying...

do you recon someone with small hands would fair better with the extended rubber end thingys?

here is a link by the way to the pictures of the two different plugs - the first from AVS - beru leads (unsure who makes the plug ends of them - but they are now all metal, so no more ripped rubber boots) which are also a fair bit more £££ - £58 inc. vat delivered

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=646

and the dubpower ones which have the weird rubber ends on are £34 inc vat + delivery

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=646

any suggestions?....

Try reaching the end of the lead on a standard plug on cylinders 4 and 6 to pull the lead out.....not going to happen.

The dubpower ones are only about 15mm longer in the rubber above the lead end, not long enough IMO to reach without pliers. They mention in the leaflet supplied to use pliers on the end! I can only just get a big set of long nose pliers on the rubber bit and because the ends fit snugly on the plug have to clamp pretty hard.

Apart from this flaw the leads are of very good design and very good quality - the ends are a very solid fit on the plugs (if you can get them on in situ!!!!) and dizzy connection is a good fit.

EDIT - I'll take a pic tonight for you

owing to the price difference and the fact that i have pliers which will hopefully easily remove the dubpower leads, i think i'm going to go for the dubpowers

i chose splitfire leads for my valver with Denso irridium plugs, they are really good...cost a few quid but are dual core. think they are about £95 ish for the vr which is cheaper than the valver.

I addressed my concerns to dubpower, this is their response:

We specified the extended connectors so that they can be fitted without

the need for the tool as most VR owners no longer have such an item.

Our leads offer a solution to that problem and have been well received.

If you remove the plastic lead guide 4 of the 6 can be easily pushed

home, the other 2 require a little more care. Your comments suggest our

installation instructions are not fully satisfactory and so we will

review those accordingly. Removal is as per the instructions.

They offered me a refund if I want to return the leads.