Sign in to follow this  
Albie

Does crankshaft pulley bolt from Scirocco match 9A?

There has been much discussion about crankshaft pulley bolts for the 2.0L 16V 9A engine before. Some prefer the newer 12 star point stretch bolt and some the older reusable hex bolt and washer.

One useful point I can toss in here is that the setting for the stretch bolt has been causing some confusion. I have seen it quoted in posts as being 66ft lb/90Nm + either 90deg or 180deg. I knew I had seen it as both in reference literature too as I had it wrong in my head. I got to the bottom of it the other day when I found a reference which showed that the 180deg final setting was for the 8V PG type engine, even though the diagram is very similar to the 9A!.

So for the 9A, 90deg is the correct final torque, (thanks to Crasher for the timely warning, you were spot on again! I couldn't rest until I knew where I had seen that 180deg.)

So now to the important question, can anyone tell me whether the reusable M14 type hex head bolt on the KR 16V is the same as the bolt from a 1.8L 8V Scirocco GTX? (That is NOT the 16V, it's a B reg 8V). My guess is the Scirocco is smaller but I just wanted to rule it out for definite.

i dont think so, the early scirocco 16v's used to use a hex head M14x1 but was 5x46 with a washer, the 8v sciroccos used a 5x33 and the corrado uses a 5x39 12 pt like the later scirocco 16v

Thanks David. That was much what I expected you would say. Guess it means a trip to the local dealer for a new 12 point stretch bolt as the others seem to be getting as rare as hen's teeth.