Sign in to follow this  
tandino

Mk4 Upper tensioner pad

Hi Guys

Goingto be changing my upper tensioner over the next couple of days.

Car has 155k on it now and sods law when it had a clutch a few thousand miles ago there is no evidence of them doing the chains or tensioners!.

I did the upper tensioner on my VR6 Highline a couple of years back along with a new tensioner bolt due to the existing tensioner bolt becoming seized in one position!! - cue slack chain!!

Despite what people say it is possible to change the upper pad without dropping the gearbox off 8)

Obviously at some later stage i will get the box off and do the lower set.

Pete.

No mate,the upper/rear pad pivots on a large pin that is covered by the lower chain cover which intern needs the box and flywheel off to remove.

I know that it pivots on the pin,

explain how i managed to do it on my Highline unless it is completely different?

No mate,the upper/rear pad pivots on a large pin that is covered by the lower chain cover which intern needs the box and flywheel off to remove.

I know that it pivots on the pin,

explain how i managed to do it on my Highline unless it is completely different?

You have two pads,one is the tensioner(that always wears first) and the other is a guide rail/pad(which never wears) the tensoner is a box off as you are clearly aware of! the other has one bolt secured to the head and the other allows the pad to slot in on the block side,so you can replace this one with just the top cover off.

Yeah reading a good one on the Tex atm.

I think im going to order the other bits over the next few weeks and pull the box off soon then.

My mate owes me a whole load of favours so ill get him down to assist seeing as ive pretty much rebuilt his E34 540i manual over the last few months :o

Cheers for setting the record straight - wish you were wrong though :lol:

i would definitely change the lower chain while you are at it. This is a simplex chain and will be more prone to stretching/breaking (as i found out). The upper is a duplex and this quite strong, although still not immune from breakage. It is just time consuming getting everything out of the engine bay, thats all. If you can rope in your friend then all the better.