Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Exhaust rattle *UPDATED* Anyone heard of Bastuck?

Hi chaps, I think my plans for lowered suspension will have to wait... :(

Recently in the early morning, or when its cold outside and I start the car, there is a distinct and loud rattle coming from the exhaust.

Back-in-the-day, I had a Mk2 Golf GTi and had the same noise and was told the 'baffles' had gone in the centre section of my (Scorpion) exhaust - replaced centre section, end of problem, so I'm guessing its the same thing with my Corrado VR6 as its exactly the same noise...

However, the noise appears to come from nearer the front of the exhaust, I hope to god I don't need to replace the cat?

So, what are my options? How much is a Corrado VR6 exhaust new from VW? I can get 20% discount, so I guess its worth getting one from VW, I dont want to put a aftermarket exhaust on simply due to the noise. I already have a Pipercross induction kit fitted to the car and that is plently loud enough when I want it to be.

Any help would be appreciated.

D.

Hi D

Sounds like cat to me. unkucky

Just briefly I have had new engine etc etc inc 6 2 1 manifold. Whilst doing all this had a custom freeflow sports cat built for 260 quid. Used old end sections of cat and put new bit in the middle.

This was in Cardiff but sure there would be someone near you. Cat from VW is about 700 I think.

Not as bad as you might think

Dic

Ok, I've just had an e-mail in pretty good english from a company nearish me and it appears as though the exhausts are made from a company called Bastuck anyone ever heard a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g about them? Ever? Fel like I'm going to be buying blind!

From what I can gather from the e-mail I was sent I can get a full system including a CAT for €695-775 (£524-585 in real money) or €320-400 (£241-£301) for a cat-back system.

All the systems are stainless steel and there is a choice of tail pipes, plus as I'm not subject to German tax I get a 20% discount on the above prices.

It could well just be the cat heat shield. Took mine off (when it had the cat ;)), and it had completely corroded away at a couple of the bolts, causing a horrid rattle. Was completely cured afterwards. Pretty easy, self-explanatory job too- you just undo the bolts, or snip through the metal if the bolts have had it (as one of mine had).

Bastuck are damn good quality as far as i know mate 8)

Often used on porsche iirc...

Neil. :)

i would try the heat shields on the system first, they quite often rattle really bad all of a sudden...took mine off and all was good. could save you a few hundred quid+

Could well be wrong but are they loud exhausts, sure i read that somewhere.

You can get a full custom made system, from downpipe, removal of cat if you dont need the cat for £300 and have it specced to how you want it to sound, loud or silent.

Finally got round to having the exhaust sorted :)

Went to HG Tuning in Paderbourn and got them to put the car up in the air so they could see what new exhaust I needed and if I need a new cat...

http://www.hg-tuning-paderborn.de/index_main.htm

After ze Germans had a good look, and being Germans they topped up my windscreen washer fluid, checked my oil, brake fluid, my coolant and the -35 temp its ok to, my brakes, my tyres, my suspension they told me the head shield thats over my cat was loose, so they replaced the screws and welded it back into place...all this was done for €10 (£6.50 in real money)! And this wasn't some back street place either!

So I get to keep the best possible exhaust for the Corrado - the standard VW one!

I've also arranged to get some tyres there soon, but thats a different post. 8)

I've looked into Bastuck exhausts before, im sure there was a lad on here that used to import them direct from Germany. They CAN be loud depending on what system you buy. I believe they're straight through with no silencers, and then a larger backbox that does the silencing side of things. Apparently loud, but very good quality.