Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

pulley to reduce belt slip using a Vortech charger?

Hi - is there a pulley that helps to reduce belt slip when using a Vortech charger on the VR6? I am sure I read somewhere about a dual idler pulley - but not exactly sure what this is and how it helps. Stealth can get something similar I believe form the states. Anyone able to point out what this is please?

Thanks

Leon,

You can reduce belt slip by wrapping the belt in such a way that it has more contact with the pulley. This has been covered before. I think James covered it once - with photos - before he went to the VRT side. Vince put mine on so I get absolutely no slip at all. In essence it has extra contact with the 'charger pulley so has more grip. I don't have aircon on my car, but the belt that is used is a Mk3 Golf VR6 (with aircon) belt. It fits perfectly. I can't remember if your car has aircon...

HTH

Charlie

You can reduce belt slip by wrapping the belt in such a way that it has more contact with the pulley. This has been covered before. I think James covered it once - with photos - before he went to the VRT side. Vince put mine on so I get absolutely no slip at all. In essence it has extra contact with the 'charger pulley so has more grip. I don't have aircon on my car, but the belt that is used is a Mk3 Golf VR6 (with aircon) belt. It fits perfectly. I can't remember if your car has aircon...

Thanks mate - the way I have it wrapped around means around 60-70% of the pulley has contact with the belt. I noticed 2 ways it could go on - and the other way had around 20% contact... so I was positive it was on the right way. Will have a read of what James wrote - tbh that thread is so bloody big now and the search sometimes doesn't let you jump into the page you want - I haven't looked through it all yet.

I think what I should have said in the original post was the pulley I was asking about it supposed to allow you to run less tension too. I don't know the supplier or what exactly it is - but read it can also reduce belt slip. It was around 100 quid and came from the states. I'll ask Vince again and post up here unless someone else knows what it is. Positive I am routing the belt the best way I can at the moment. Cheers bud

I used a spare pulley i found at work and mated it to the stock idler braket as i was running a small 42mm pully and it reduced the slip to zero... 8)

12thisshowsthereversebeltwraparound.jpg

DSCF0004-1.jpg

DSCF0009-1.jpg

pullys.jpg

or you can buy one like Karl did,but mine cost me £6.90 :lol:

James, those are exactly the photos I was thinking of when I replied to Leon's question. I now remember you saying you made up that extra pulley bracket arrangement.

Leon, I remember Nick saying that he used to have to retension the 'charger belt every couple of weeks to keep it tight and prevent slip which surprised me. Every car is different, it seems as I have never had to touch mine. It seems fine... that is until it comes ripping off at high rpm!! :lol:

Hope you get it sorted, Leon.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Charlie - actually not had to re-tension the belt since fitting the new one - and it gets plenty of hard driving. Nick did say after 500miles to check the tension - but it was fine. I don't get much slip - but the tension needed seems a lot - and once I heard about a pulley that allows you to run less tension - I wanted to get it!

Karl - what is that pulley? As in - what makes it different from a normal pulley? And does it replace the Idler pulley?

James - 42mm pulley? What size is the std 8psi pulley? When changing to a smaller pulley - is it a case of cranking up the belt tension, or changing a pulley or belt? And that belt routing seems like the route I use - works very well.

thanks again chaps - every little bit helps :lol:

IIRC the best way to stop slip is to sell it to me. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be delighted to sell you belt slip. Do you use paypal?

Yes mate that was a stage two pully along side it !! :shock: cant remember what psi stage two is i think it is 8 psi and stage one is 6psi?

If you are going to get a small pully like i had then its a shorter belt aswell...but any local motor factors will have one 8)

IIRC the best way to stop slip is to sell it to me. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be delighted to sell you belt slip. Do you use paypal?

Sorry, Western Union only.

its what vortech call there dual idler pulley, whan you put on a fresh belt you dont use the little pulley on the left of the alternator, but when you have run out of adjustment by using the bolt on the charger bracket, you then route the belt under that pulley and it takes up even more belt slip.

karl

its what vortech call there dual idler pulley, whan you put on a fresh belt you dont use the little pulley on the left of the alternator, but when you have run out of adjustment by using the bolt on the charger bracket, you then route the belt under that pulley and it takes up even more belt slip.

karl

how did you find it worked? I must have a look when home on saturday and see what routing i eventually used. how much was it? the one stealth mentioned was around £100...