Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

Help with ISV on valver

I want to test/clean my isv. I have a 2.0l 16v but I dont know where to find the isv? I got a bently manual but cant see it for my engine..

cheers kempy

looking at the front of the engine it's to the right of the cylinder head at the same level as the four branches of the inlet manifold, has a pipe connecting to it from underneath and another to the front which then leads along a tube to the inlet just past the airbox, there's also an electrical connector to the rear of it, it's usually a black plastic unit about 10cm long on the 2.0 16v, the 1.8's had a metal bodied thinner unit.

No. 19 on the pic

I'm confused - sorry to hijack :D

Is that passat 9a engine bay the same as the 2l16v C's? my 1.8 valver looks identical :/

the 1.8 has a Warm Up regulator under the ISV and two extra fuel lines to it, the 9A has an electronic differential fuel pressure regulator on the RHS of the fuel distributor, 9A also has a bunch of relays nr the washer bottle, but apart from that the engines are incredibly similar to look at.

Passat and Corrado 9A engine bays are virtually the same, slight difference in air intake pipe, airbox and washer bottle, but hard to tell apart.

Cheers for that, It wasn't just me being silly then :)

davidwort - the valver guru! \o/

cheers for the pic

I will investigate when it stops raining, I got a question about it; would cleaning this out help with low idling and stalling?

cheers for the pic

I will investigate when it stops raining, I got a question about it; would cleaning this out help with low idling and stalling?

possibly, but it could be a small vacuum leak from somewhere on the inlet side.

ISV is a very popular culprit (i've suffered from bad ISV's on both of my 2.0 16v's) but even small air leaks in the surrounding pipework can cause weird problems.

Worth cleaning out the ISV though.. give it a damn good blast with carb cleaner and when you fit it back make sure all rubber pipework connections are snug and done up tight!

Takes all of 2 minutes to remove the ISV mate.

There is a two pin electrical connector on the back of it, a pipe on the underside (usually secured on with a small jubilee clip) and then one at the front of it which normally just pulls off. Then it's usually held onto a peg with a sort of rubber bracket which you can just slip it out of. The ISV itself is sort of inbetween a mini can and normal can of Coke sort of size and fairly weighty.

Then just spray carb cleaner into the two holes and let it run out - if it comes out mucky at first, thats good.. also cover up one hole and fill with carb cleaner and give it a good shake to get it right in there to get any gunk off.

As I say.. few minutes to remove and fit... and a few minutes to clean it out :) Easy :)

If it doesn't, get onto eBay. I picked up the ISV from an Audi 80 2.0 16v (same engine as the Corrado basically) for £10 delivered. 2nd hand of course but it works perfectly. Slightly cheaper than buying a brand new one from the dealer at nearly £200!

Also worth carefully moving the flap inside with a screwdriver to make sure it's opening/closing smoothly. Once the carb cleaner has done it's work, give it a good spray with 3-in-1 or similar to lube it.

Cleaned all the muck out of it today, there was loads, it humming nicely now , no stalling so far, brilliant

chheers

:)