Sign in to follow this  
dgarwood07

Head gasket! GONE!!

How much am i gonne be lookin at for my head gasket to be done?? Just been told it has gone! All i went in there for was to ask how much it would cost to have my heater matrix done! And they did a test in the header tank and said the head gasket had gone i can't belive it!! HELP!!! :( :( :( :(

Sorry its a H reg G60!! :(

Yikes! :shock: Did they do a compression test on the engine? What signs did they say led them to that conclusion? The reason I ask is that I've had a couple of people come to me saying a garage (the same garage I might add) has told them their gasket has gone and it's been nothing of the sort in both cases. Not doubting the people you went to mind. They couldn't possibly be as shonky as the cowboys my colleagues went to.

Mate I'm gutted for you. :( That's got to be a big old job on a G60. I did it on a 9A last year it was a pain in the ass big time. Price wise I have no idea I'm afraid. Lots though. :(

I am gutted i really am!! right i aint gotta clue what it is they did im a sprayer ok so this may sound really stupid!lol they put like a funnel on top of the header tank with Blue liquid in and ran the engine and after 5 min it had turned green somethin to do with emmisions or somethin?? Does that make any sense? :(

Yeah I use one of those if its gone green it means the exhaust gasses are getting into the coolant and increasing the pressure in the system... which would explain the heater matrix blowing the design is crap anyway and then it blows from all the pressure...

Sorry to give you bad news mate :(

Graham

Yeah I use one of those if its gone green it means the exhaust gasses are getting into the coolant and increasing the pressure in the system... which would explain the heater matrix blowing the design is crap anyway and then it blows from all the pressure...

Sorry to give you bad news mate :(

Graham

Man this aint my day at all!!!!! Its gonne cost me a bomb!!!! :(

I'd offer to help I really would, but I should imagine there's a lot more involved with a G than a valver, and I just wouldn't be confident enough in what I'm doing to carry out that kind of work on someone else's car. It was my worst nightmare when I had mine. Either that or the crank bolt going. Why do they do this to us?...

I'd offer to help I really would, but I should imagine there's a lot more involved with a G than a valver, and I just wouldn't be confident enough in what I'm doing to carry out that kind of work on someone else's car. It was my worst nightmare when I had mine. Either that or the crank bolt going. Why do they do this to us?...

I really dunno m8! Think i will get it all done and gonna have to sell her! :( :( :( :( :( :(

Might be worth putting a post up asking if theres anyone local to you who would be willing to help (someone experienced enough obviously)

If you do have a go yourself make sure you get the head skimmed

Graham

Might be worth putting a post up asking if theres anyone local to you who would be willing to help (someone experienced enough obviously)

Graham

I really aint got a clue what 2 do!!lol Really wish i did tho! :(

I really dunno m8! Think i will get it all done and gonna have to sell her! :( :( :( :( :( :(

That's a tough one buddy. You'd have to think hard about that one. After getting all the work done you'd have to make sure there's gonna be enough change left after selling to make it worthwhile. Otherwise you'll feel even worse about it. You just wanna concentrate on getting it sorted I think. And then decide what you want to do with the car afterwards.

Graham

Totally agree. Got to be worth a shot.

Supercharged is based near Ipswich and I'm based in cambridge so don't mind popping round to help. Not done one on a G before but done one on a 1.8 8v golf so can't be too bad..... can it?

Supercharged is based near Ipswich and I'm based in cambridge so don't mind popping round to help. Not done one on a G before but done one on a 1.8 8v golf so can't be too bad..... can it?

Thats really nice of ya lads! I dunno what to do?? :(

The actual engine itself is relatively basic but surely you've got to get the charger off and stuff? That's the bit I'd be unsure of.

Having said that if you do find someone experienced willing to help and you need a spare pair of hands I have a big torque wrench and some splined sockets. :D I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.

The actual engine itself is relatively basic but surely you've got to get the charger off and stuff? That's the bit I'd be unsure of.

Having said that if you do find someone experienced willing to help and you need a spare pair of hands I have a big torque wrench and some splined sockets. :D I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.

Thanks again!! I'm gonna ring round some garages and see how much money im really lookin at??

Or i might hav to take you up on the offer!!!!!! :D

No probs. I live in the same town as you and it's hardly a big town at that so I couldn't sit back and not offer to help in any way I could! :D

i'm also unsure exactly what's involved with a g60 - but superchargers are like turbo's and not scary at all - they are just bolted on in the same way as anything else, have an air inlet and outlet and an oil inlet and outlet and also a belt on a supercharger (in a nutshell) really not complicated!

as for the head, it's just the same as any other old VW 1.8 - recently helped a friend rebuild a scirocco engine and it was a piece of pi$$ - only annoying thing is that the head is siamese (or however you spell it) and the exhaust and inlet are on the same side, which basically equates to it being slightly more annoying when tightening up the manifolds, but it's hardly the end of the world!

defo get someone on here local to you to do it for you - you will save a fortune!

just a note to whoever does it - it's probably just me being anal, but i like to dry crank the engine (i.e disconnect say the coil and wind the engine over for a bit on the starter) to build the oil presure back up after disconnecting the charger feed lines and taking the head off, just until the oil light on the dash goes out, then you know everything's ok

good luck :)

i'm also unsure exactly what's involved with a g60 - but superchargers are like turbo's and not scary at all - they are just bolted on in the same way as anything else, have an air inlet and outlet and an oil inlet and outlet and also a belt on a supercharger (in a nutshell) really not complicated!

as for the head, it's just the same as any other old VW 1.8 - recently helped a friend rebuild a scirocco engine and it was a piece of pi$$ - only annoying thing is that the head is siamese (or however you spell it) and the exhaust and inlet are on the same side, which basically equates to it being slightly more annoying when tightening up the manifolds, but it's hardly the end of the world!

defo get someone on here local to you to do it for you - you will save a fortune!

just a note to whoever does it - it's probably just me being anal, but i like to dry crank the engine (i.e disconnect say the coil and wind the engine over for a bit on the starter) to build the oil presure back up after disconnecting the charger feed lines and taking the head off, just until the oil light on the dash goes out, then you know everything's ok

good luck :)

Thank you very much!! only thing is i really aint gotta clue so i gotta find someone who does!!lol :(

i really aint gotta clue how much a good garage would charge?? I have only ever had it done on a punto GT3!!lol

Does this mean you'll still want a bonnet? :wink:

I aint sure yet m8! Im gonna get the matrix done then i gotta decide if im gonna keep it or not??

Any mayo in the oil filler cap? steam out of the exhaust when gunning it? these are the other things I'd check if you're worried about the head gasket.

If you do end up needing a hand though mate just let me know. I'm sure collectively we'll have it sussed in under a day. :D

Any mayo in the oil filler cap? steam out of the exhaust when gunning it? these are the other things I'd check if you're worried about the head gasket.

If you do end up needing a hand though mate just let me know. I'm sure collectively we'll have it sussed in under a day. :D

No mayo or steam?? Thanks for offering to help! VERY KIND!! :D

just in the middle of doing the HG on my g60 rado, charger doesnt need to be removed, just the alternator. once you get a few of the boost pipes moved aside its really not that daunting. if you do go through with the work yourself then i can take a few pics at various stages and give you some pointers as like i say im doing mine just now. hope this helps a bit. all the best , tom

Worst thing is probably the manifold bolts at the back...

Who told you it had gone then? I trust MJS more than anyone else round here...

Then again any G60 over 100k is going to need a HG sooner or later but yours should already have the copper one fitted.

Are you still running the OE heat exchanger?