Sign in to follow this  
benanna

Vr6 Timing problem please help

Anyway of checking that the marks on the crankshaft pulley and casing will give TDC. Second attempted @ timing and all marks are lining up as they should. Cheers!

Timing mark on flywheel is one tooth out when I line the crank pulley up with the mark on the casing, since the flywheel can only go on in one position do you think the crankshaft mark is off????? This would give half tooth off in cams I think. My engine was running very hot and coarser than the vr6 should, but still loads of power.

Heh sorry man - I don't know enough to help, just thought it might help others if you said what engine it is.

You might get a bit more attention if you edit your original post and change the title to something like "VR6 timing help please" though :)

I would use the flywheel mark. That is the definitive marker. it's not unusual for the crank pulley to be slightly off when the flywheel is correctly at TDC. So long as the cam notches align as they should with the Flywheel at TDC, ignore the crank pulley mark. That can only go on one way aswell btw ;-)

Having said that, I've used and continue to use the crank pulley on my engine no problem, but I know for a fact it's right though. May not be on yours.....tis all a bit weird with these lumps!

Yep, there's a slot on the crankshaft the pulley locates onto.

And it can get razor sharp and rip the crank seal as you slide it over. One of those weird problems only my car seems to suffer from, LOL!

I would use the flywheel mark. That is the definitive marker. it's not unusual for the crank pulley to be slightly off when the flywheel is correctly at TDC. So long as the cam notches align as they should with the Flywheel at TDC, ignore the crank pulley mark. That can only go on one way aswell btw ;-)

Having said that, I've used and continue to use the crank pulley on my engine no problem, but I know for a fact it's right though. May not be on yours.....tis all a bit weird with these lumps!

I take it when people refer to the flywheel marks they mean the pointer on the clutch cover, I couldn't find anything else under there? When I did the cams last month the flywheel didn't seem to line up with the clutch cover pointer. I used the crank pulley as I'd used it before, the clutch cover one was probably one tooth out, maybe that's why I use so much fuel, I'll test with a dial gauge the next time I get chance and see what the difference is maybe.

Yeah, the ones on the clutch cover. There's 2 or 3 marks, I can't remember which one is the right one but stealth always use that method. I use the crank pulley method aswell.

There is a definite way to work it out though.

Drop a long pencil or wooden dowel into cylinder one (down the plug hole). Time the engine on 1 to be at TDC via the crank mark or the clutch cover marker.

Now, all piston engines have a 'moment of dwell', where the piston neither moves up nor down as you rotate the crank.

The distance between the dowel rising and falling whilst you turn the crank is the dwell period. You need to find the half way point of the dwell, if that makes sense and that will be true TDC and either the crank or the clutch cover marker will be pointing at the TDC marker. Use which ever one is.

Cheers guys..... plenty to get on with at the weekend. Strange trying to prove and hope that certain marks are wrong!"!But will keep you all posted how I get on . Thanks again