Sign in to follow this  
VeeDub Geezer

Pattern expansion tanks... any good?

as the old adage goes

"buy cheap and pay dear"

remember the amount of pressure and heat it will be under..............the last thing I would do is buy a cheaper patern part expansion tank

agreed, stop being a tight arse and buy a vag one, otherwise 20 pounds will seem rather insignificant when you get a garage bill of 1k so fix/rebuild your engine!

never heard of any problems with the GSF ones, I wouldn't pay for a VAG one either, unless it was second hand.

They're not under that much heat and pressure anyway, I'd be more worried about old rubber coolant hoses than a pattern expansion tank TBH.

Not everything that's non VAG is rubbish, that seems to be a recently aquired myth with VW's.

I've run on loads of pattern parts since I bought my first dub in 1989 and the only problem I've ever really had was a slightly weak beam pattern on a mexican made pattern mk1 headlight.

i would buy a 2nd hand one (i work in a salvage yard) but the only reason we are changing is because it is filthy.

as for the hoses, they have nearly all been changed over the last year.. lol

i may get one and see what the quality is like

Err yeah, a lot of people have had issues with the pattern ones leaking and also the senders tend to only last a year or so...

What car is it - my G60 one from VAG was £16+ vat but that was a few years ago now... I did buy a MK4 one recently tho and it was £10, sender plug different to Corrado tho...

Avoid the GSF ones. My GSF one was so badly patterned that I couldn't even connect the damn level sensor plug to the side of the bottle. It just flat out would not go on, regardless of a little strategic filing of the connector on the bottle. Complete pants - if they can't even get THAT bit right....

For cleaning the old one out, someone suggested a bit of laundry / washing powder and hot water... seal it in and shake it about a bit and let it work the grime out but it seems to be the plastic that discolours over time rather than it just getting dirty.