Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

No power.. intermitant

Ok so the Rado's obviously got jealous of my taliking about the Scirocco resto...

Last night on the way home from the station in the freezing cold she decided she wasn't going to rev... for a minute I was stranded at the side of the road with an engine that would idle at 750 but not rev at all, thought I'd snapped a throttle cable first, but no.

Then all of a sudden she jumps to 1000 and when I press down revs smoothly again!

So off I go and a couple of time she had a quick cough and splutter but after 5 min ran sweet again and same power as before (even gave a quick "blast through the gears" on the dual carridge way home to make sure).

Been out this morning to check the basics, topped coolant up (little low but she does tend to use a little from somewhere), checked oil level, no mayo on oil cap or dipstick.. Dizzycap and arm are also fine (renewed about 2 mths) Fuels at 1/2 tank... All sensor wiring looks ok, and had a light tug on all that I could reach with the engine running and no changes to idle speed.

When it happened was early on about 1-2 minutes into my trip, water temp was just getting off the stop and no oil temp was showning on MFA...

Starts and revs fine this morning.... I'm confused...

She's a 9a 16v with no engine mods (bar a drilled airbox).

i recon the problem initially sounds like an electrical gremlin just appearing very quickly, but if it came and went like that, it may just be a bit of crap fuel (but that's a bit weird if you're already on half a tank, as you would have thought something would have shown up nearer to when you filled up...)

what was happening when you tried to rev the car - was it dying, trying to rev and spluttering, or just not responding to anything at all?

It was almost as if the cable had snapped, nothing at all...

As to cr@p in the tank. Yeah filled it up to brimming last week and done 250miles on it with no probs...

I had a similar intermittent problems on damp days with a 16v Golf where it would idle but didn't seem to have any guts. I eventually found it was the HT leads breaking down and arching against the inlet manifold branches. You could try running it at night and look for any arching, spray it with abit of water etc.

Jon, where did you get your leads from?

I looked at some from ECP but they didn't have any way of mounting the knock sensor onto them! VAG wanted close on £140 for a "genuine" set! :shock:

I looked at some from ECP but they didn't have any way of mounting the knock sensor onto them! VAG wanted close on £140 for a "genuine" set! :shock:

Those would be the diamond encrusted ones then.

Nice.

Yeah the parts guy did ask if I was sitting down....

Gonna give it a dusting over to local met tonight wish me luck, I have to drive to East London Friday morning (6am start) so I hope it was just a Hiccup...

????

VW told me a genuine KR engine set was under £100 before discount... surely 9A leads aren't _that_ different?

I've got a spare set you can trial if you want matey, came with my second engine. They'll be KR leads but i'm guessing they fit?

Well the leads themselves don't look too bad, just given them a wipe with a rag and wd40 lets see...

Jon if you're coming to teh Wycombe meet tonight can you bring them down and we'll see what the differences are.

Yeah the parts guy did ask if I was sitting down....

Gonna give it a dusting over to local met tonight wish me luck, I have to drive to East London Friday morning (6am start) so I hope it was just a Hiccup...

So do I mate.

You don't want to be breaking down in London.You'll cause hovoc :)

If it happens again 2nite i'd be catching the train. :(

Aaaah I would, but AutoCAD hates me plus I got a surprise maths test this week :(

I'll be a bit freer next week.

feel free to pop by and pick up the leads though if you like, I'm in headington on Hollow Way (opposite Corner House pub)