Sign in to follow this  
Andyroo

Bumpers

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference, between early and late bumpers on a Corrado, or if there's a difference between VR6 bumpers and valver bumpers?

I've got a 95 VR6 and my missus bumped it, so the garage have put a new bumper on but it doesn't look quite right - I can't tell if it's a bad fit or the wrong bumper . I think the side of the bumper should stick out a fraction passed the wheel arch, but on my car, it's now recessed further inward than it used to be. There's also a little kind of pattern (for want of a better description) on the top part of the bumper near where it meets the wheel arch and I can't remember whether it had this on my old bumper.

I realise some pics may be helpful but my camera's knacked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

There is a difference between early and late bumpers, sounds like you have an early one on.

There's no difference between late 16v and VR6 bumpers though, they were the same part regardless of what model

I did this, I got a 92 valver and put on a late VR front bumper and the sides do stick out more.

they are different. the VR6 bumper (new style) is wider because the fenders of the late style Corrados (Plus Suspension on all VR6)

Its easy to figure out what kind of bumper do you got. The late style vr6 bumpers have a different line style, they go

straight to the fenders, on the old style the line goes up at the end. Please look at the pics.

The old style bumper also have the turns and fogs deep-seated in the bumper, on the new styles the fogs and turns

are almost flat to the bumper skin.

l3748wpu.jpg

vg52r8ev.jpg

Thanks for the reply and pics gents, appreciated!

By looking at the bumper, it seems the friendly local garage have put an early bumper on.

However, the fogs and indicators are in the same position as the first pic in the above post (almost flush with the front of the bumper), but the line is the same on as that on the second pic.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

you can mod a few bits so later lamps fit in an earlier bumper, the later fog lamps are in a cradle type unit and the indicator clips into that unit , the earlier ones are seperately fixed in just using screws and the indicator clips into a recess in the bumper

I have the early bumpers and they are quite different when you look closely, but it is a pretty subtle difference to the unknowing/untrained eye

maybe they had it lying around? maybe their vw parts guy was not born when corrados were built? maybe he didnt check chassis numbers/build year when he placed the order!!!

get it back to them and give them the good news!! you may end up with 2 bumpers!

Cheers dude, yeah it's definately on it's way back, just wanted to make sure I knew what I was blathering on about before I do let them know the good news!