jamin

Jamin's 'Ferrado' VR6

Had my car booked to have a new windscreen today, but (unsurprisingly) the monkey that fitted the previous one made such a mess that I've now got loads of rust and can't get a new one fitted until its sorted. To makes matters worse - MOT and Service is booked for next Friday!

Advice most welcome!!!!

This is just a sample...

IMG_0015.jpg[/attachment:2xjzhfh1]

Thankfully I have a couple of friends who popped over and sorted this for me (suprised by the lack of advice on here tbh), did a real nice job, and it wont be rusting again when the new one goes on, which gives me a little more peace of mind.

IMG_0021.jpg[/attachment:8x8emm04]

Was it just surface rust and was there any signs before you took the screen out?

Thankfully I have a couple of friends who popped over and sorted this for me (suprised by the lack of advice on here tbh)

I'm always surprised by comments like this! You've owned your Corrado for 8 years - probably longer than a lot of the folks on this forum! The advice should be coming from you!! :)

Was it just surface rust and was there any signs before you took the screen out?

Mainly surface, but there was a small hole, but a small amount of filler sorted that. No signs from the outside at all.

And what advice did you need? Sand it back, treat, prime, top coat. Not difficult :shrug:

Ha, having never done anything like this before, I wanted to make sure I did it right, with the right equipment etc.

Exactly! Where's the write up on what you did, for other people to use in the future? :lol:

Basically what Kev said, used a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the worst of it, then corse sandpaper to get to the bare metal. Then treated with some rust hardener to stop the affected areas, then a little filler on the hole, more rubbing down then primed. The chap that is fitting the windscreen is going to apply the final coat before the new screen goes in.

Thankfully I have a couple of friends who popped over and sorted this for me (suprised by the lack of advice on here tbh)

I'm always surprised by comments like this! You've owned your Corrado for 8 years - probably longer than a lot of the folks on this forum! The advice should be coming from you!! :)

Wrong! Its nearer 10 years! :D

Just had another look at the rust and all I can say is the previous fitter must have hacked the paint off the A pillars good and proper! Scratching the paint is usually inevitable when they cut the old urethane glue out, but that was a REALLY bad job!! Decent fitters take every precaution to prevent paint damage.

Just had another look at the rust and all I can say is the previous fitter must have hacked the paint off the A pillars good and proper! Scratching the paint is usually inevitable when they cut the old urethane glue out, but that was a REALLY bad job!! Decent fitters take every precaution to prevent paint damage.

Yeah, he also managed to glue the pillar trim on the inside to the screen, I had to cut them off with a knife and get new ones (luckily at a show from a chap for only about a fiver!). And he broke all the white 'catches' that the trim underneath the wipers use. I didn't find this out until I fitted the lupo wipers and took them off to clean up.

Did I mention it was Autoglass :pukeright:

At least the chap fitting the new one had the decency to tell me, rather than just slapping the new one over the top (its not Autoglass)!

yeah thats a right bodge that, bet your glad its all going to be sorted now before it got worse

Yeah, I guess I was lucky really, but I was still fuming when I found out...

Hi Mate, aint logged in for a while otherwise would have suggested a few things but it is pretty much as you have done, had to do this recently on 2 of our fleet too. :? feel btter for having it done properly though now and i'm sure it'll be good for years to come :grin:

mine is like that, and needs sorting, the painter should have done it when i gave him the car, but thats another story...

Hi Mate, aint logged in for a while otherwise would have suggested a few things but it is pretty much as you have done, had to do this recently on 2 of our fleet too. :? feel btter for having it done properly though now and i'm sure it'll be good for years to come :grin:

No probs, I am a complete novice for these sort of things, in fact most things :D

Yeah, peace of mind that it shouldn't come back...

Yeah, he also managed to glue the pillar trim on the inside to the screen, I had to cut them off with a knife and get new ones (luckily at a show from a chap for only about a fiver!). And he broke all the white 'catches' that the trim underneath the wipers use. I didn't find this out until I fitted the lupo wipers and took them off to clean up.

Did I mention it was Autoglass :pukeright:

At least the chap fitting the new one had the decency to tell me, rather than just slapping the new one over the top (its not Autoglass)!

Wasn't that pillock on the TV advert driving over the sleeping Policeman was it?! :D

I had mine done by a little place just up from the BMW dealer in town (Ipswich), forget the name of the road, but it's near the football ground? Anyway, they did a pukka job and were well aware of the clips and and panels under the wipers, but sadly some gimp had already broken those previously and mastic'd the panels down again :roll: They didn't let me have the car back until the glue had fully cured, so they had it all day basically. I've seen some rados given back to the customers too soon and the outer seal lifts proud of the body work due to the glue not being set and allowing the screen to move....which deservers another :roll:

Autoglass are terrible. Seen far too many cr@p jobs done by them. My mate's Focus being a good example, which needs special attention due it's heated screen. They royally c0cked that one up, made a mess, got glue everywhere and the heated screen has never worked since.

Thankfully we don't have to go through this often, but next time I'll be demanding I go back to this place in Ipswich. The big glazing companies can swivel on it!

Had a guy at RAC windscreens do ours kev and he was genuinely anal about how he went about refitting them, as said its the numpty that cuts out the old one that causes the problem in the first place.

When he removed ours they were both flat bed lorried to my body shop guys for proper sorting then flat bedded back for new screens fitting, it added a bit more to the expense but you cant faff around when corrosion is eating your car :lol:

Ah that's good to know because I took out RAC breakdown cover this year. Haven't needed it yet, but good to know they do windscreens properly!

The place I had mine done at let me watch them do it, and to be honest and I'm no bodywork expert, it didn't look like a difficult job :shrug:

I've got set of the plastic wedge tools and trim removers the trade use....and some urethane glue (sikoflex)....so I might attempt it myself next time :lol:

Tis a brutal job removing the old one as i watched him do the whole process, he really swore at it :lol: but was as carefull as anything when refitting it after it had been painted and was happy to let me watch and help replace the wiper cover clips & trims as i didn't want them breaking as i bought new ones of those too. :?

My place were clearly a quick turnaround shop as they absolutely blasted through it! 3 of them working on it. 2 cutting the old one out and 1 removing external trims / wipers etc.

As quick as they did it, they inflicted zero paint or trim damage on the car :salute:

As you say though, I wouldn't fancy cutting the old one out on my own!!

Just to add my 2p worth.

I had a new screen fitted to my 8v at the RAC place, before either of our better ones went in, and set up camp to watch the proceedings. To start with the guys thought I was mad, then seemed to realise I was just unhealthily interested in my car.

I'm 100% certain the screen that came out the 8v was the original even though it was on 160k as the fitter asked if I wanted to see the condition of the metal work once the screen was out and it was absolutely perfect. Not a scratch and certainly no rust. I guess the cars we care about get a few new screens in their life and therefore the chance of having a dodgy fitter touch it increases.

I could hardly believe the state that was lurking under the screen of my Storm but felt slightly better when KIPVW turned out to be worse !!! :help: :shock: :gag:

I am having my done via the insurance with Nationwide Glass (I think). I have spoken to the fitter a few times now, seems a reasonable chap and his son apparently has a couple of project cars on the go so sounds like he has an interest in looking after cars and hopefully that bodes well for me.

Unfortunately I am at work whilst he is doing the work, but the wife will be keeping a watchful eye. All being done on my drive so I can just back it up into the garage and let the sealant cure when done!

Well, the windscreen's been fitted, all looks good. Had the car MOT'd and serviced yesterday, passed with flying colours! The only 'Attention' marks on the print out were 4mm of tread on the front tyres, so I am might happy with that!

To celebrate I took it out for a damn good thrashing with the tunes up loud :D

My Passat handles are at the paint shop, hopefully pick them up next week and get them fitted at the weekend.