easypops

Brake caliper refurb??

Hi,

I was wondering if there was maybe a guide how/ what to do when tidying up a set of calipers before painting/fitting them?

I have had a look on here and on the internet but cant seem to find an idiots guide on how to do this.

I recently got a set of 288mm front caliper/carriers..........i already have these on the car but one of the bleed nipples is broken so i thought its best to get others, refurb them and then swap over.

I have read that you can get new seals etc........where from?

And the calipers i got still have the brake pads in them, sad to say i dont know how to remove them :shrug: ........i will suss it out as its only a metal clip but i'm sure someone will tell me after they stop laughing :lol:

A link to a guide with pics would be superb :salute:

Cheers

Martin

Sorry no link to a 'How to', but you can get the seals from VW, or somewhere like Biggred will do a kit inc everything you need. Just remove the spring clip thing and the pads will come off.

Cheers for the replys.........that link is great.......but i'm now even more worried as i'm sure i'll take them apart and not be able to put them back together :lol: .......looks like i'll just get the seals from VW or TPS :D

its all quite easy really, not many moving parts to a brake caliper

i think my thread includes all the part no:s for seals etc

Your thread is the only reason i'm even considering taking these things apart :D

I will get the seals and then give it a go.......not sure it'll be up to the quality of your job........but if its any good i'll take a few pics :lol:

Was there any need to renew the pistons or did u use the old ones?

Ok, Had a closer look at the calipers/carriers i have bought.........and they are not the same as yours 3corsameal, They are off a 2003' fabia vrs........any idea if they will fit ? :lol:

Also the clips that hold the pads in dont seem easy to remove.........probably just me though :D

oooh, i'm not sure if they fit or not, i only knew about the ones i got hold of, before i got them i knew nothing :lol:

The pads wont just come out, they are locked between the caliper and the carrier. The two bolts you can see at the top corners of the picture will need to be removed then it should pull apart easy. :)

The pads wont just come out, they are locked between the caliper and the carrier. The two bolts you can see at the top corners of the picture will need to be removed then it should pull apart easy. :)

Cheers Joe, How are you mate?........Missing corrado's yet? :D

I did take one apart to see how things were held together........and took a lot of pics, mainly to help me when it comes time to put them back together :lol:

In the first pic it shows the 2 sliding pins?A + B ........which are different, not that i know why , and i've taken a few pics of the clips which hold the pads in ©..........no sign of the metal clip in 3corsameals pics?.........anyway i have ordered new seals etc so will see how i get on..........i'll need to refurb them now anyway whether they fit or not, still hopeful though :D

Going to refurb my spare calipers. Previously used hammerite which is very tough but just looks too 'thick'. Will alloy wheel paint with an etch primer be suitable? Or perhaps ht paint for manifolds? Got a full can of each and dont want to get yet more cans!

I find whatever i use it seems to rust up again, stripped & painted my front calipers 3 times now. Used a kit by POR15 last time and its still rusted back up, i followed the instructions religiously and cleaned every speck of rust off, so feck knows what i'm doing wrong.

I had mine blasted and powedercoated. Wroth the carriers. Only cost £30 but do look great. Not been done long enough to see if they will rust though. I suppose it sounds a lot of money, but not much for a Corrado!!!

Cressa

That's definitely who I got mine powedercoated. I'd always painted them myself b4 but was never happy in the long term. I've got a local powder coater who looks after me

Easypops, have you sorted taking them apart yet mate? It really is easy and watching you tube helps you understand what needs doing. I got my seals and pis tons from big red for my 288s. Source the bleed nipples locally. Not too difficult a job, especially for you and all of your car parts

Cressa

Easypops, have you sorted taking them apart yet mate? It really is easy and watching you tube helps you understand what needs doing. I got my seals and pis tons from big red for my 288s. Source the bleed nipples locally. Not too difficult a job, especially for you and all of your car parts

Cressa

I can hardly remember writing this post :lol: I sent a full set to biggred a while back, at £70 a corner I wasn’t complaining

CDAC04E9-E781-4688-91DC-5E4F04719A4B.jpg