oneohtwo

oneohtwo's VR6 - New Engine!

Great work I notice on my rebuild from Stealth that he mentioned timing chain + MK4 upgarde.

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 9:27 PM, ger040 said:

on youtube the humble mechanic does a very good guide on chain replacement and setting timing on these engines 

i know very little about the vr6 but that gasket at the chain is a strange set up

oh and forgot to say very nice work there

I do enjoy the Humble Mechanic videos - I had to resort to him in the end to find out how he did it! We're quite lucky he picked the VR6 for the whole series. And thanks very much!

On 5/13/2020 at 11:41 PM, easypops said:

Great work, I did this fairly recently and it took me a couple of goes before I was sure I had the top chain right. Same issue with the cam locking tool, I bought a 2nd one and once doubled up they fitted much better 😁👍

Good thinking! I couldn't be arsed waiting another week or so for another, but you'd think it would be an easy thing to get right!

Yeah, the Mark 4 upgrade is the yellow tensioner. The original piece is resin riveted onto a bit of metal which as you can see from my earlier pictures isn't a great design. The upgrade part is just a solid plastic piece, so won't come apart and shred the chains...

Edited by oneohtwo

Things are progressing well, good job! I wish I would be doing the same, that's where I should be with my project as well but with the virus around, no one wants to work on my head right now... So assembling the engine back together along with the timing chains is on the back burner unfortunately...

The Humble Mechanic's videos really helped me pulling the engine out and I'm definitely thankful for his videos.

Reading the problems you had with the head gasket I for sure will go with the metal MK4 one. Glad you fixed the issue though.

Keep up the good work, Cheers

On 5/16/2020 at 5:28 AM, ABV-VR6 said:

Reading the problems you had with the head gasket I for sure will go with the metal MK4 one. Glad you fixed the issue though.

I think that's probably sensible, just gives you peace of mind. Funnily enough the virus lockdown has been a bit of a bonus for me on the rebuild! Just given me far more free time to work on it, and most places have still been open for delivering tools, parts, etc...

Not too much more progress to report, got the sump back on:

y4mWiTAe6c8QSgQwPfxNzbLylSpI0t8fJNyE9kMF 

I'm pretty pleased with how this turn out as it was a mess of rust and oil when I got it off. I was just going to buy a replacement but bit of cleaning work and Bilt Hamber products has got it quite nice:

y4m_yRYOewOO43wswP4dBXsMjwHViWtsHWC_SC08 

That's part way through the rust treatment, so it was a lot worse

y4m7VJtmLIhz6RFVubf-nDvGnna1LoNqQt8WJlRd

Can still see the pitting, but I quite like that. Shows some age. Got a few layers of Bilt Hydrate, hammerite stone chip and Hammerite on so hopefully will last a bit. No  doubt the it'll get chipped on the first trip out and rust away again!

Posted (edited)

Tidied up some other bits as well:

y4marK0n08BhNA6mFOHrV6YBUxJg3f07wMg8H5Vo

Got the alternator refurbed at QX Components and gave a quick spray in silver when it got back to keep it fresh. And some 288 calipers that I have had sitting around for years:

y4mwKQd2KHHmVOS59ttjivzlLr266kWebG3p1xl_

Jury is a bit out on the orange. I was going to do them silver or grey, but then thought I'd give orange ago to tie into my orange subframe as a theme... but you'll not really see the subframe so not sure how apparent that will be! Worried it might look a bit Ford RS... but will see when I get it back on the car. Won't take much to paint em up again!

Edited by oneohtwo