scruffy16v

1st corrado, hello from newquay - cornwall

Hello my name is Ben and i live in Newquay, Cornwall. I have just got my first Corrado, i did a straight swap for a LHD MK1 Golf that i could no longer to keep on the road due to many issues - needless to say i swapped it for a Corrado with as many problems if not more!

I have owned quiet a few mk1 and mk2 golfs and have always wanted a Corraado so when the chance to swap the golf for the shed i now own and love came up i didnt need to be asked twice.

plenty wrong with it.....

1. no interior apart from two seat and two harness (quiet like it stripped)

2. dropped too low on coilovers

3. water leaks in the cabin everywhere

4. heater matrix does not de mist screen on one side

5. broken radiator (have to fill with water every journey

6. scabby bbs alloys

7. pannel damage

8. massive chav drainage ditch exhaust pipe

BUT I STILL LOVE IT AND CANT HELP GRINNING EVERYTIME I TAKE IT OUT :dance:

will try and get some pictures at dinnertime and upload them!

its a 1991 dragon green 1.8 16v

good stuff and welcome along, don't be shy and get some pics up - we always like to see rado's getting rescued!

cheers for the welcome aide, i have tried to post pics a few times but i think the post is being approved?

Pics approved and welcome!

for a moment i thought it might have been my second valver, i sold it to a guy in newquay, different green and reg tho!

I remember the fella that had that, it used to be parked up in quintrell downs alot, can't remember his name, must be on big miles by now as I remember it had done a few back then (probably 5-6 years ago)

Anyway, I'm over in Holywell bay, don't drive the rado much as it's my missus' but you may see her around, it's a black n reg.

thanks again for the welcome everyone. today was amusing as it ran out of petrol at the junction at chester road but as all the interior has been stripped out it was fairly easy to push lol.

made the mistake of opening the sunroof and now it wont close, hope it dont lash it down tonight too much as i had just managed to get the interior dry and the windows free of condensation :bonk:

also electric windows stopped working, at least i had them for two hours of ownership. it only used two litres of water today.

all this gives the car character to me, very similar to my mk1 - a challenge. best thing about owning it so far........... opening her up properly for the first time tonight, holy ****! easily as enjoyable as the 2.2vtec in my old prelude :cheers:

@volksworld13 - you will have to take it for a spin and tell me how rubbish it is compared to yours and let me know what needs sorting as i'm just stoked the engine hasn't blown up yet and dont really know how one of these should feel underfoot or how it should go. i would imagine this will drive like a total nail compared to your 16v, will sorts you a few beers out :cool:

will donate to the forum to at the end of the month when i get paid too.

i typed a massive long reply to this thread but it has not appeared! so the short version is 'nice one for the welcome, will be subscribing... volksworld13 i would like you to have a look at my car and cast your expert opinion on how **** it is! will sort you a few pints out in return'

cheers :)

there's a mechanical winder on the sunroof motor/ gear Ben in case it fails open, just remove the cover and wind it shut.

Looks like she needs a bit of work but looks like it'll scrub up well. Keep us posted! :)

will get some pics up in a better location after a clean at the weekend.

priority to sort first is the broken radiator and get the exhaust sorted (gasket or hole somewhere).

other bits...

remove crusty bonnet lining

delete rear wiper

put 5mm spacers on the front

get upper rear strut brace

tidy up interior wires and paint inside black

get mate to make rear roll cage

sort door handle out

fix heater matrix

tidy up body work dinks/dents/scratches

lots of other little bits all over the place :bonk:

Hello, great to see another valver regardless of the condition. Been way too many getting chopped up for ££££ these days so good on ye :thumbleft:

What's it like with no interior? have thought about doing the same thing and making a road racer but can't decide?

Hello Elliot, the car had too much potential to see it ripped apart for spares! i would of got the interior back off him and maybe tried to get the car back to standard concours condition but i aint got the cash for that kind of project and once i had driven it stripped it was so obvious it had to go down the track route and just get the rear upper strut brace and a cage.

with everything inside removed the sound when approaching redline is great, massive grin. feels light and responsive but having never owned or drove a corrado so it could be driving like **** :) once alex has drove it i will let you know what he thought it was like with no interior, he will know what the difference felt like between the two and i will know how rubbish the car is running compared to one that works properly.

The 1.8 needs worked hard to get the most from it but thats the fun part of driving one.

If you've had golfs you'll know roughly what to expect. The only experience I've had so far is that the corrado wheel alignment has be 100% spot on or it's just no fun. If you can find a place that does laser wheel alignment it's well worth the money.

Great to see a Corrado owner nearby! I'm in st Austell and currently keeping my ear to the ground for a vr6 if you know of any. Will look out for you!

sounds good, when do you fancy meet? i ahve just been paid so can afford to stick some juice in the rado, i don't mind where we go - the bowgie in crantock is good for beer and a group shot.

i would say the mermaid in porth too but the carpark is full of massive craters!