HummuH

Blackberry Corrado G60 Turbo Race Car

Hi all, got a new Facebook Page set up to detail the winter upgrades and also video's, updates etc from the 2015 season.

Please help out a skint racer by dropping by and liking the page: MD Racing Facebook Page

Many thanks!

Wee bit of an update:

After butchering the doors which took quite a bit of weight out they were still pretty heavy. Picked up a cheap and cheerful hole-saw kit and went to town. Things were starting to get a bit "floppy" in places so had to be careful to retain some structure and keep the door rigid.

IMAG1083_zpsf2a74507.jpg

IMAG1087_zps0b4b179f.jpg

Doors finished:

IMAG1126_zps2d40580e.jpg

Wishbones tarted up:

IMAG1219_zps9c577148.jpg

Sub-frame given some tlc after attack from the angle grinder:

IMAG1233_zps5ea42815.jpg

Drive shafts balanced and painted (badly):

IMAG1224_zpsd04d05c8.jpg

New wheels:

IMAG1200_zpsfcc52547.jpg

New steering rack:

IMAG1186_zpse88fc857.jpg

Some Carbon:

IMAG1183_zps376d22ce.jpg

Lots of bits to fit:

IMAG1206_zps6b7fd5cf.jpg

New brakes hopefully incoming next week so can get it built back up again.

Got a bit more done over the weekend, feels like making progress now.

Tom and Scott at Brayon Classic Engineering welded some ball joint extenders to the hub carriers and drilled out for new Track Rod Ends.

IMAG23571_zps219992fd.jpg

IMAG1240_zps43f0fef1.jpg

Then they got it. Why haven't I discovered a wire brush attachment for angle grinder until now?

IMAG1247_zps5f4bdd23.jpg

IMAG1249_zpsf9ad8ba4.jpg

IMAG1257_zps36b9b9fa.jpg

IMAG1259_zps5ea385d4.jpg

Got the Powerflex Black bushes in now.

IMAG1262_zps7a002fe7.jpg

Did a test fit of the rain cover. Needs a bit of trimming and some clips but should look good.

IMAG1250_zps11c00c78.jpg

Looking good , i found the wire wheel attatchment amazing and same as you cant believe how i didnt know about how well they worked up until a week ago !!

Man I wish I could get some of those extenders for a VR

Might be worth speaking to Jarrod at SCCH. There can't be that much difference between 4 and 5 stud to get them to work is there?

The ball joints connect in a completely different way on the VR hubs unfortunately. They're bolt through rather than pinch bolts so you'd need a way of getting around that.

I think the question has been asked before a few times

The ball joints connect in a completely different way on the VR hubs unfortunately. They're bolt through rather than pinch bolts so you'd need a way of getting around that.

I think the question has been asked before a few times

Didn't realise that, thought the hub carriers would be largely the same.

Got a wee bit more done over the past week.

Getting the subframe back on proved challenging with the car on the ground but with the help of the trusty Dremel and Scotty "Hammer" Watkins lying underneath the car for four hours we got there eventually.

IMAG1285_zpskvujcpbd.jpg

We could then get the wishbones back in (was the spacers on new wishbone bushes that were causing us the hassle) and get the front end built up again. Gave us a chance to see how the new ball joints and Track Rods would come together. Still all needs tightened up but other than having to chop some threads off the rods, all went together fine.

IMAG1329_zpspepk5evj.jpg

IMAG1325_zps4tmuexnj.jpg

IMAG1324_zpstjhxjzm8.jpg

Took some time out to get the new tyres on the new wheels, will be interesting to see if some extra width on the tyres helps or hinders lap times.

IMAG1319_zpscvvzkuui.jpg

Ran out of time so couldn't get the new brakes installed but had a good rummage through to check all was good and present which it seems to be. Should have that done by end of week then off to the body shop she goes!

IMAG1297_BURST004_zps6t1cwjkc.jpg

AP's...nice. What offset are the wheels?

Plenty! ET20 with 20mm spacers so basically running 0 offset. Could be great, could be a disaster, time will tell.

Got some more work done before the car was dropped off at the body shop at the weekend.

First up was a trial fit on the brakes. We had changed quite a lot with new ball joints and steering arms etc, so we knew the general geometry/clearances were going to be very different. So, we built the brakes up and got them on the hub.

IMAG1340_zpske80dpzu.jpg

Needless to say, wasn't plain sailing! What I had overlooked was that the ball joints were very different. As you'll see in the image below they are hexagonal in shape at the end and stick out past the sleeve where as the OEM ball joints simply have a circular sleeve round the joint itself. With the drop pins they also now sit about 3 inches lower than before.

What this meant was that on full lock, the inner face of the disc was fouling the ball joints. This made Scotty happy as the solution to the problem was to grind down the ball joints, gulp! Plenty of clearance now though:

IMAG0935_zpsad0563d0.jpg

IMAG1342_zps7vvtzh6i.jpg

So, got the brakes fully installed and test fitted a wheel, all looking good.

IMAG1356_zpsrnzbqaen.jpg

IMAG1346_zpsjyptd4mp.jpg

IMAG1355_zps5nqyoc3u.jpg

With the new wheels and spacers on there's a bit of poke out of the arches as expected so hopefully the new arches will fit well without being too extreme.

IMAG1349_zpss6jsdvqx.jpg

Also got the new tailgate fitted before she was packed off. Hopefully 3 to 4 weeks then in for the new livery/wrap.

IMAG1348_zpsovvviakf.jpg

Amazing work, again!

When I fitted my AP's I had to grind down the OEM ball joints...... still fouls slightly on lock but the car is pretty low....

That looks extremely good , what colours you going for ? If i had more time on my hands id love to come wrap this for you just to have a nosey at it