HummuH

Blackberry Corrado G60 Turbo Race Car

excellent update thank you

love the pics & the videos must prove very useful for you to assess yourself & the car

great having the rear view in the corner too & that really showed the part your on about regarding braking zones & where the understeer kicks in

oh how it makes me want a go tho lol

Some nice driving there, looks like great fun.

You seem to have very minimal steering input which is good.

I had a LOL at the Evo eating itself at 2.48!

Surprised the gearbox outlasted the engine!

Dougie

excellent update thank you

love the pics & the videos must prove very useful for you to assess yourself & the car

great having the rear view in the corner too & that really showed the part your on about regarding braking zones & where the understeer kicks in

oh how it makes me want a go tho lol

Cheers mate!

Loving this thread. Cheers for the update :)

How long you been racing?

This will be my 3rd year racing mate.

Some nice driving there, looks like great fun.

You seem to have very minimal steering input which is good.

I had a LOL at the Evo eating itself at 2.48!

Surprised the gearbox outlasted the engine!

Dougie

Hehe, that's the trouble with the Evo's/Scoobies, they can run big power and have great traction but it means they regularly have mechanical issues.

Steering is good on the car but ideally I'd have a quicker rack in there, the hairpin ties your arms up.

OK, massive post incoming.....

Last week was quite interesting. After getting the car back on Tuesday, Thursday started at 9am with a dyno and weighing session for Super Lap Scotland. Russ @ Performance HQ asked if I wanted a smoke test done on the engine before the dyno so we did it. Smoke pishing out of the MAP sensor and also the intercooler. So, two fairly significant boost leaks, not good.

Car should have registered peak flywheel power of 350bhp to 360bhp (dyno variance), we peaked at 300bhp, well down. I've clearly been running like this for some time, hard to figure out how I didn't notice such a large drop in power, I knew I was down, but not by that much. So, within an hour and after a huge favour from AF Noble Subaru in Penicuik, front end was stripped off to reveal a massive tear in the end tank of the intercooler where the oil cooler was mounted, the result of movement over time.

IMAG0009_zpsf2ubabtj.jpg

19_zps0t7qupcm.jpg

Over to Andrew Turner Blacksmiths in Penicuik and they kindly welded up the intercooler and replaced some other vulnerable welds too. MAP sensor was simply a worn O-Ring so easy enough to replace. So by Thursday night all was well in the world again thanks to a host of people who love and understand motorsport, I'd be stuck without them.

Car was now ready for Sunday, my first shot at Super Lap Scotland. It's basically like Time Attack, but power to weight classes and run only at Knockhill, in both directions. Didn't really know what to expect from the car after fixing the issues so we got set-up and ready for practice.

15_zpsn8sl9fco.jpg

2_zpslkylyxyf.jpg

Practice went well, instantly set a new PB and the car felt quick. Went into qualifying which is 2 x 2 hot laps, preceded by a warm up lap and a cool down lap both times. I was able to get tyres up to temp and set a new PB of 56.8 secs, over 2 seconds ahead of the next car in Class.

In the final, which is one flying lap, I had killed my tyres in Quali and was struggling to get them to temp. Had to correct the rear end in the first three corners which knocked a bit of time off but we posted a 57.8 to take the Class win and driver of the day trophy. Here's the vid and some more photo's from the day:

[video=youtube;9IKaBu1-liY]

18_zpsbs2htbst.jpg

13_zps3sqcpuhy.jpg

16_zpsqabmc3cb.jpg

You could do with a boost gauge!

Yeah. We had looked at the boost logs and we had noticed a 0.3bar drop, not huge. Regular smoke tests will get done now.

I love finding a thread like this that i haven't read before.

Great write-up and videos and some amazing work over the winter.

Most disappointing bit about the thread was getting to the end but I'm sure you'll have some more exciting updates during the year.

Best of luck with the rest of the season.

\Paddy

So, Super Lap Scotland (SLS) Rounds 2 & 3 were at the weekend. Great fun, good folk.

For those who don't know SLS is a similar format to Time Attack with cars classed on Wheel HP / Tonne, but with a major difference; your whole day comes down to one flying lap in the final which sets the results.

Weather forecast was good so we decided to try out a few things over the weekend. Ran the car for the first time with no front anti-roll bar all weekend, generally seemed an improvement. Ran with new rear toe (appx -0.15) and camber (-1 degree) settings, again seemed to work well. Finally, tried out soft compound tyres for the first time which delivered a consistent 4mph over Vmax on mediums and 3mph apex speed. I was braking at same points as on mediums though so you could see on the VBox that I was losing the time I was making up in the braking zones. Now I have used them and know how good they are I'll brake later next time out.

On Saturday we were running the track in reverse direction which I've only driven twice before. It's very different to normal direction with the bumps and corners affecting the car differently to normal direction. Good news was we got quicker each time out on track which resulted in a new PB and 2nd place in the final behind Stuart Walker in a mighty 997 Turbo S.

Video of Saturday's final lap:

Sunday was back to normal direction and was determined to go one better. Again, kept going quicker and decided to put on some 205/40/17 Kumho V70 softs for the qualifying and final. End result was a new PB of 56.7 and 1st place in Class C. Good time with a couple of mistakes on the lap so hopefully more to come.

Video from Sunday in post below.

Finally, here's some pics from the weekend courtesy of John Stewart of Flat Out Photography:

SLS4_zpsxihclicl.jpg

SLS1_zps4wwfajg2.jpg

SLS3_zpsnpcz7olk.jpg

SLS2_zpsgaxuzti2.jpg

new livery looks awesome :D

is any of it sponsor related? (sorry it that is a daft question as normally the livery is to show sponsors)

i imagine you are very glad you did the smoke test even though it threw up problems

congrats on the 2 trophies from knock hill

will watch the super lap day stuff later :)

Cheers guys!

Nah, no sponsorship, I'm the only sponsor! Wanted to get the car developed and hopefully start to win some things before going out with cap in hand. Livery I shamelessly pinched the idea from the Polo WRC as I thought it looked good. It's just a wrap so can be modified if I did pick up a main sponsor. Next SLS event is televised live on Motors TV in July and a couple of folk have suggested they'd like logo's on the car for that so will see if that develops into anything.

This car looks so good. I'd love to see it at an event. Top work!

So, long overdue an update on this one.

2nd half of the season has been quite challenging. Quite a few wet races and I still don't have a solid wet set-up, really need to work on that. At our August race meeting it was clear something wasn't quite right. Cars I would normally keep pace with were getting away from me and the AFR's were looking a bit dodgy, very rich when on open loop. So, we started a diagnosis. Bought this neat wee kit off Ebay and hooked it up to the inlet to see what the pressure in the system was doing.

IMAG0270_zpscgz649tz.jpg

Pressurising to 1 bar, the system couldn't hold any pressure. We could hear and feel two boost leaks, both coming from the inter-cooler. Damn, 30 mins later we had this:

IMAG0279_zpsddr3miza.jpg

Also found a wee crack in the bottom of the radiator whilst we were at it. Both items are custom Pro Alloy Motorsport jobs so spoke to them the next day. It was clear I wasn't going to get new items in 7 days but they were incredibly helpful and agreed to do what they could. 4 days later a freshly welded radiator and inter-cooler arrived back allowing me to get to the end of the season and sort out new items after that. Got the car put back together on the Wednesday and headed out for a track session on Thursday to test. This allowed me to try a new camera angle on the splitter:

So, September race meeting was the following sunday and rocked up delighted that we once again had BOOST! Then........

22_zpsoavkrfx9.jpg

It was damp. Trying to get some heat into the tyres on the green flag lap I nailed it in 2nd to light them up. Some nasty noises began. I started race but quickly slowed as it was clear something wasn't right. After a long wait at the side of the track got back to the paddock and found that 2nd gear had gone taking the output shaft with it. Crap. This was not good as I had 6 days until the Superlap Scotland Final which I did not want to miss. So, no fecking about, got the box out of the car....

IMAG0336_zpswzs0trpw.jpg

IMAG0334_zpsyplqzep0.jpg

One of the advantages of having the engine mounts relocated is that we can get the box in and out without any clashes with sub-frame and the drive shafts can stay on too. 30 mins later we had it out. As you'll see, there was a nice chunk out of the casing where the "dog bone" mount attaches. Torque baby. No biggie, but another job I needed to get done. After a phone round the houses, finally found a really nice bunch of chaps at ASK Transmissions in Falkirk who were recommended by a racing buddy. They agreed to open the box and turn it round if they could.

Now, earlier in the year I had bought a cheap CCM 02A box from a VR6. I had always wanted to try a longer 1st and 2nd gear so this was a good opportunity to try my gear swap. 48 hrs later, I had the box back in my possession, nicely welded and with my new 1st and 2nd gears in there. Total result and great service from ASK Transmissions. Box back in, wipe sweat from brow, prepare for the weekend.

Sunday arrived, it was dry, WOOP WOOP! To celebrate, I stuck on the white wheels.

6_zpsslteusqe.jpg

Had some pretty stiff competition on the day. An Ultima GTR was running in my class and also a c. 470bhp Impreza and well as the Time Attack Astra and 997 Turbo. Ended up 2nd in Class for the final which gave me the overall Class C win and 3rd in the overall championship. Not bad for a 25 year old Beetle. Some pics from the day:

Squeaky bum time at 130mph....

11_zpsy6gowmlg.jpg

14_zpsl2ylvohx.jpg

16_zpsril9akie.jpg

9_zpsuwz0rgzu.jpg

5_zpsljuq1cm2.jpg

Final race meet is next Sunday, 4th October and than the winter plan will commence!

Cheers for looking!

Cheers man! Yeah, hehe, they do come in quite handy! Those AP's keep really cool though.

I bet they do, AP's are awesome kit

you have no idea how much I would like some on my VR lol