lewvw

Received a Galaxy S4 that I didn't buy?!

Hey guys,

I have received a used Samsung Galaxy S4 addressed to me which I know nothing about. It's boxed and in good condition. I signed for it at the Royal Mail depot and opened it when I got home. Having found out what it was I took it back expecting Royal Mail to be able to contact the sender as it was recorded delivery with signature but they could only tell me it came from the Leeds depot.

I'm stumped? Any ideas?

Are you expecting a similar sized package that maybe the seller switched names and addresses before posting? ie you have A N Others parcel and they have yours?

First thought is scam of some sort?! :scratch: Proceed with caution I say. Maybe I'm just paranoid lol.

Neil.

Are you expecting a similar sized package that maybe the seller switched names and addresses before posting? ie you have A N Others parcel and they have yours?

Yeah consider this one

It could be someone you have bought from in the recent past has got your name mixed up when selling something else.

Or a scam I've seen attempted before is to use identity theft to buy a phone and contract in your name. It is delivered to your door and either before or after someone turns up on your doorstep saying it is their phone and they accidentally gave the wrong house number so could they have it back. It means you later get a bill either for the phone or for the contract. But that is normally done with new phones not used ones which presumably are sold without contract.

The phone will be blocked soon if it is genuinely a mistake and trying to use it could look like receiving stolen goods. Personally I would hand it into the police. I think you get to keep it if unclaimed after a certain amount of time.

If its got a sim and numbers stored why not call one of the contacts in there?

yes i read some months back about a scam behind this - cant quite remember what but best to advise the police.

After reading what Jim has posted up I would take the matter to plod . You will be in the clear and have no reprocutions then . Is there no end to what these fraudsters will think of next ? .

It's almost worth waiting a few days to see what scum turns up at your door. Then tell him the phone is at the police station and he's welcome to go and collect it.