lyricrex

Advice on potential vr6 purchase.

I'm looking to buy a 92 Corrado vr6 I seen on Craigslist. I haven't seen it yet, this is based off what he's told me. It has 186,000 miles, has minor body dents, he's says the valves and rods are knocking. The car drives, how it runs I'm not sure. Interior is good just normal wear. He was asking $2,500, I got him down to $1,800.

I'm wanting to make this a project car, slowly fixing it. Is it worth it? What should I looking for when I see it? Any good articles on purchasing? [ATTACH]81363[/ATTACH]

valves & rods knocking!?

how can he tell that?

normally with a VR if there are clunky or odd sounds coming from the engine block it is likely to be tensioners & chains

have a look at the forum wiki for the buying guide

from my experience I would specifically check: the running gear (front wishbone bushes, tie rod ends, rear beam bushes etc), also cv boots, steering rack boots etc, ignition barrel can be sloppy if it is on its way out, all electrics including wing mirrors & sun roof tilt/slide & spoiler manual raise button under the dash

TBH m8 for the money I would hope you could find an example where the seller is not potentially saying the engine is knackered or on its way

Regarding the knocking. He says he didn't get it checked out but had a friend (who was an audi tech) tell him that's what it was.

This is what he said he had replaced......

Water pump & housing was replaced, spark plugs/wires/ & distributor, new water temperature sensors. Just little things. It's needs an oil temperature sensor still though the oil little turns on.

Regarding the knocking. He says he didn't get it checked out but had a friend (who was an audi tech) tell him that's what it was.

perhaps said friend was thinking that the bores are ovalised - which means it will burn oil & is a definite 'stay away' unless you want to replace the block