MJA

My Corrado(s) and other VWs

8 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Quite a car collection! Really, sometime you prefer the green over the white Corrado?? I agree about that gas door, that would bug me as well... Not sure if there's anything to do about it though. 

And that puppy is so cute, congrats!! 

Yeah sometimes. It's got a nice metallic to the paint and it feels lighter/more nimble but bear in mind i've only driven a few miles to the village and back on a twisty country lane. It's also got half the miles on it and people in the UK blindly love anything less than 100k come resale. Some parts are much cheaper than VR6 too. Seems a good car. 

49 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Puppies are so cute

mine looked like this

Bloody hell you had your work cut out with 2. Cute though. Mine gets up at 4AM at the moment and struggling a little with crate training - she just wants to be with us. I work from home and she sleeps by my feet but I crate her at night and when I nip out. I do want her to get used to being left for an hour. 

They destroyed my sanity at times in the early days but we got there, they ate the doors and furniture in the kitchen any post that came or stuff you left out low was fair game to them, they considered anything as possible food no matter what. The darker ones best trick is the ability to open doors with doors handles, he can open them both ways, because of this we have had to change the door handles in the kitchen to round metal ones and keep the front door looked all the times even if just nipping to the garage. The first time I saw him do it I was astonished, never seen anything like it. 

Bloody hell I'd not be happy at that level of furniture damage. 

I've just been out for 30 mins and decided to test her but leaving her in half of the house (kitchen/diner/snug area). She really hates the crate - barks and wimpers but I was pleased to find her settled under the breakfast bar where she seems to like it alot.

Hope your not suffering post natal puppy depression lol - its hard work the first few weeks for sure. 

She seems to be settling down alright now. Rather than putting her in the crate when i do the school run etc i leave her in the kitchen area. I sometimes come back to a number 2 but she's not barking and generally comes out from under the breakfast bar (seems like a den for her).

I've been busy with work over the last 2 days and not given her a great deal of attention and she's just slept or sat next to me. 

Updates.. 

Sold the mk2 8v. It's gone off to be a Targa Rally car in Yorkshire. I decided it was too much work for me to get into and actually I didn't like the car enough to get into it. Mk2s were not really my era. 

Spent a week in Wales, camping mostly but did find 2 days to work on the 16v. It is so close to being MOT ready and had it not been for an issue with the fuel and temperature gauges not working and the lift pump dying I think I would have got it MOT'd (spent too much time messing around trouble shooting the fuel and temp gauge issue).

Bought some Zender alloys mainly for the tyres as the original wheels had perished and I didn't like the look. I also welded both rear ends of the sill - both had disappeared with rust and there was a 2inch square hole underneath once ground back. 

I am only a novice welder having only completed a few welding tasks. The below needs stone chipping and painting properly - it jsut had a bit of seam sealer and primer on to protect it.

I'm pleased with the passenger side:

20210830-131627.jpg

Less pleased with the drivers side but can grind back the shape so it looks more factory 

240839113-377063157723319-53965050869806

The fuel pump died so I could not get it out for picutres or even a wash but the alloys look alright I think for a basic upgrade. A little like Borbet Cs (I have a set of those too) and once lowered on eibach springs it should look decent enough.

20210830-162025.jpg

20210830-161953.jpg

This arch gap really is rediculous 

20210830-161932.jpg

Stripped the mk3 16v down ready for some more welding works on the sills. It needs bonnet, wings and roof painting. Might get someone else to do it for me as have limited time at home.

Screenshot-20210830-094922-Instagram.jpg

That looks a pretty good welding job on the sills. Looks like you've got the shape pretty bang on. It's quite a complicated shape once you start looking into it. I remember spending ages trying to shape it out of filler a few years back.

The filler lasted a few years until a rear shunt from a Range Rover cracked it out. I took it to a body shop to do a proper job, but they didn't bother to get the shape right - they didn't do the tuck back in, just continued the line straight. Not that noticeable but it has annoyed me ever since!

Loving that arch gap 🤣🤣. It does look great what you are doing.

And a sensible decision in getting rid of the mk2 as I wish I hadn't bought the one I have. Now a Corrado is just pure elegance.  

Good luck with the mk3, it will keep you busy 

Cheers yeah it is a hard shape to get the curves right underneath - I spent a day on each side. The hardest part was getting the curves right underneath and mounting the lip so it was straight but followed the curve underneath. I did a lot of shaping off the car and then tacked it in place and finesseed with the hammer. I then welded on the lip once the repair underneath was on the car.

I have just bought some refurbished 7J BBS RX226 for the mk3 but will share between the white corrado too. 

One of my favourite angles on the white one 

20210725-190034-1.jpg

It does seem a bit greedy to own 2 corrados and I often have the niggle I should try something else but for the money I can't think what else to get. If I sold the white one i would make a loss so not an option. The green one I am quite fond - there is something honest about it being a basic 16v and I feel it is my duty to get it back on the road properly and in good bodywork shape as I got it in a very good deal and the previous owner did not want to see it is broken for spares (neither do I - only badly accident damaged or structurally rusted Corrados are OK to break in my eyes).

On 9/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, Cressa said:

Loving that arch gap 🤣🤣. It does look great what you are doing.

And a sensible decision in getting rid of the mk2 as I wish I hadn't bought the one I have. Now a Corrado is just pure elegance.  

Good luck with the mk3, it will keep you busy 

The mk2s are nice and they have reached true classic status now so it is worth the cost. Corrado's are about a 5-10 years behind the mk2 so we will see our day where it all makes sense on a financial level as well as the emotional.

I could be tempted by a big bumper 16v (5 or 3 door) but there are other cars I like better for less money these days. I'm sure my mk3 16v with the Bilstein kit will handle and perform well for retro "hot" hatch fun. If not I may have to revist this decision!

Posted (edited)

More changes with cars in my household.

First up are the repairs on the mk3 are in full swing. I have completed the passenger side sill arch lower arch repairs myself but got a pro in to do the drivers side as it was bit more complicated and it was a tad close to the fuel tank.

Some nice old MOT patches of new metal over old rust have been fixed. Sadly the arch repair as gone beyond the GTI trim so will need the 3/4 painting probs. The car needs the bonnet, roof and a couple of wings doing too so all totting up. 

20210928-202906.jpg
20210929-212637.jpg
20211003-190958.jpg
20211004-193612.jpg
20211005-164945.jpg
20211005-201336.jpg

Corrado is just as it usually is - nice - needs MOT soon 

20210916-145101.jpg

And I was looking around for  a G60 but man maths on this mk2 16v meant I had to have it. It does look really special on those wheels but I will be going back to something more OEM and their value will help me get straight again as I did jump on it thinking the boat had sailed without me on the mk2 16vs.

Whats-App-Image-2021-10-06-at-10-10-36.j

Edited by MJA

8 hours ago, MJA said:

More changes with cars in my household.

First up are the repairs on the mk3 are in full swing. I have completed the passenger side sill arch lower arch repairs myself but got a pro in to do the drivers side as it was bit more complicated and it was a tad close to the fuel tank.

Some nice old MOT patches of new metal over old rust have been fixed. Sadly the arch repair as gone beyond the GTI trim so will need the 3/4 painting probs. The car needs the bonnet, roof and a couple of wings doing too so all totting up. 

20210928-202906.jpg
20210929-212637.jpg
20211003-190958.jpg
20211004-193612.jpg
20211005-164945.jpg
20211005-201336.jpg

Corrado is just as it usually is - nice - needs MOT soon 

20210916-145101.jpg

And I was looking around for  a G60 but man maths on this mk2 16v meant I had to have it. It does look really special on those wheels but I will be going back to something more OEM and their value will help me get straight again as I did jump on it thinking the boat had sailed without me on the mk2 16vs.

Whats-App-Image-2021-10-06-at-10-10-36.j

Cracking motor mate congrats- Mk2 16V is a belter-  a car dear to myself owning one off and through three decades . Desirable colour as well Oak Green and 3 dr . Boom !!! 

haha kind words - that ship was sailing so am glad I got one 😄

Winter projects for the Corrado are new wheel bearings on the front and fettle the front end. I haven't quite got the wings lined up right I don't think. 

MOT passed for White Corrado. The brakes passed the chaps own testing equipment but failed intially by 1% on the DVSA results - he took it for a spin and passed afterward. I think the squeek squeek I hear when driving is not a wheel bearing but calipers that are tired and need refurbishing  so that is the winter job as he said bearing were fine.

It was a great garage though - Melbourn Auto Services - recently opened. Clean workshop facilities, helpful and friendly guys that own it and they had some classics in their social media so thought I would give them a try. They also have a laser alignment machine that a lot of small garages don't have and they have decent parking. I know some people are on the Cambridge / Herts area here so they are well worth a try as a classics friendly garage.

29 minutes ago, MJA said:

MOT passed for White Corrado. The brakes passed the chaps own testing equipment but failed intially by 1% on the DVSA results - he took it for a spin and passed afterward. I think the squeek squeek I hear when driving is not a wheel bearing but calipers that are tired and need refurbishing  so that is the winter job as he said bearing were fine.

It was a great garage though - Melbourn Auto Services - recently opened. Clean workshop facilities, helpful and friendly guys that own it and they had some classics in their social media so thought I would give them a try. They also have a laser alignment machine that a lot of small garages don't have and they have decent parking. I know some people are on the Cambridge / Herts area here so they are well worth a try as a classics friendly garage.

Well done for the MOT, bet it felt a bit nerve racking. 
i can’t even be arsed to wash my car lately, I’m really struggling to imagine how you manage another 3 besides 😂🤣😂🤣

I hardly use them so they stay clean ish 😄

In reality i only have 2 on the road - the mk3 is in my garage up on axle stands. 3 is too many 2 is enough i think but I don't have much will power.... 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, MJA said:

I hardly use them so they stay clean ish 😄

In reality i only have 2 on the road - the mk3 is in my garage up on axle stands. 3 is too many 2 is enough i think but I don't have much will power.... 

I believe the acceptable amount of VWs to own is

1 MORE THAN YOU ALREADY HAVE 😂👍

I have to agree that the mk2 you have there is the one to have. Great purchase 

Posted (edited)

lol I think the latest vw has tested my wife's patience 

Today I have mostly been tinkering. I am awaiting bits for a cooling system refresh of the mk2 so have taken off the OZ futura (will be selling), raised the coilovers (ugh give me a fixed set of matched shock a springs I cannot be bothtered with all this winding and measuring) and discovered the engine is a 2.0 16v ABF bottom and top end. Suprised at the top end as thought the k jet injectors didn't fit the head. Either way it should make for a fun car - I like oem plus so this is well within my envelope.

Car is good with wheels off. I can see the sills have had some love or are very good. The jack points have been repaired but are still in primer so need proper protection. There is a patch in the drivers front arch on the turret seam that i think will need me to get the welder out. I am also going to drop the subframe (it also looks new along with the wishbones) as there is flaky underseal that I have picked away and it would benefit from a wire heel, hyrdrate 80 and proper protection.

I plan to give a proper strip down of arches etc next year once mk3 is out of the garage. For now I will just get it as best as I can without it being off the road of long periods.

I liked this pic of the 2 16vs (mk3 needs to exit garage and get it's paint after a few running gear improvements).

20211009-141313.jpg
20211009-185840.jpg
20211009-185545.jpg

If you're reading an fancy some 5x100 OZ Futura's in great condition do give me a shout. Loads of pics available and to me they look recently refurbed and have done some road miles. Tyres are close to new.

I am going to be listing them for sale tomorrow.

Edited by MJA