Jump to content
mooG60

Spoiler motor swap

Recommended Posts

I need to replace my spoiler motor.

Is it possible and easy enough to change just the motor, or do I need to swap out the whole mechanism?

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mooG60 said:

I need to replace my spoiler motor.

Is it possible and easy enough to change just the motor, or do I need to swap out the whole mechanism?

Cheers.

I took mine apart for greasing the other month. It does come apart easily but there would be less swearing if you took it all out of the car and did it on a table. Quite an easy fiddly job

Edited by Cressa
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, mooG60 said:

I need to replace my spoiler motor.

Is it possible and easy enough to change just the motor, or do I need to swap out the whole mechanism?

Cheers.

They don't sell the motor stand alone it comes as a whole unit including tubes and everything. They actually still sell them at classics- I have one been delivered in a couple of days .and they cost £550.00 with heritage that they get from classics in Germany. Fair few on ebay but they will be pretty old and cant expect any longevity out them to be fair because all over 25 years old- that why I took the plunge and purchased one whilst you still can. 

Complete unit. 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/verstellelement-f2fd9e.html

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Keyo said:

They don't sell the motor stand alone it comes as a whole unit including tubes and everything. They actually still sell them at classics- I have one been delivered in a couple of days .and they cost £550.00 with heritage that they get from classics in Germany. Fair few on ebay but they will be pretty old and cant expect any longevity out them to be fair because all over 25 years old- that why I took the plunge and purchased one whilst you still can. 

Complete unit. 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/verstellelement-f2fd9e.html

holy mother of god how the hell can classic VW justify such a hefty price tag for a part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They were selling ABS pump units for over €1000 there a while back....

Must be trying to discourage potential buyers and keep stuff for the cars in the museum!

Edited by fendervg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fendervg said:

They were selling ABS pump units for over €1000 there a while back....

Must be trying to discourage potential buyers and keep stuff for the cars in the museum!

its is just ridiculous isnt it m8 - soon as the word "corrado" is used then prices for parts go astronomical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

holy mother of god how the hell can classic VW justify such a hefty price tag for a part

To be fair there are quite a lot of parts to it - they were £550 about 10 years ago - Im into long ownership and I like my car flashing her knickers at the back so took the tumble. A set of tyres good for a 911 996 cost over a !1000.00 so could be worse. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cressa said:

I took mine apart for greasing the other month. It does come apart easily but there would be less swearing if you took it all out of the car and did it on a table. Quite an easy fiddly job

Thanks for the reply Cressa.....

I have a complete mechanism from a 16 valver I scrapped.  I remember it was quite involving to remove it and didn't want to go though all that hassle if possible.  I guess though a straight swap would be the best action, that way I can clean up and grease the new one before fitting.

I feel daft asking,  but what type of grease did you use,  just the normal,  or is something else preferable for this particular application?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mooG60 said:

Thanks for the reply Cressa.....

I have a complete mechanism from a 16 valver I scrapped.  I remember it was quite involving to remove it and didn't want to go though all that hassle if possible.  I guess though a straight swap would be the best action, that way I can clean up and grease the new one before fitting.

I feel daft asking,  but what type of grease did you use,  just the normal,  or is something else preferable for this particular application?

 

 

I’d say silicone grease/lube out of the tube if you have some, if not general purpose grease will do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I’d say silicone grease/lube out of the tube if you have some, if not general purpose grease will do. 

yeah I thought it may need something better than gp grease. 

ebay, first stop.....

thanks for the reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOLY-LIQUID silicon grease is good stuff. Perfect and recommended for the sunroof too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:49 AM, Cressa said:

MOLY-LIQUID silicon grease is good stuff. Perfect and recommended for the sunroof too

Great thanks Cressa

 

 I saw some of that on a job a while back, I knew I should have nicked it then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😂😂 I got mine off Ebay for around a tenner. I now use it to lube lots of contact points on the CAR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...