Jump to content
James.

Door hinge.

Recommended Posts

The lower drivers door hinge is baggier than a clowns pocket. Anyone know how to remove/replace the securing pin (couldn’t see anything in Bentley). Would rather replace than going the washer route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers, There’s a bevel on the lower edge so  thought as much. I’ll give that a whirl and see how it goes.

Edited by James.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, James. said:

Cheers, There’s a bevel on the lower edge so  thought as much. I’ll give that a whirl and see how it goes.

If you have any joy with this we need photos! This is one of my jobs this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, tonedef said:

If you have any joy with this we need photos! This is one of my jobs this winter.

Will do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a shim behind the hinge bracket to realign and take up the slack on mine. Must have been about 15 years ago now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fla said:

I used a shim behind the hinge bracket to realign and take up the slack on mine. Must have been about 15 years ago now.

I looked at doing this but due to the design of the hinges a shim moves the door forwards, narrowing the panel gap. To cure a drooping door caused by play in the bottom hinge I had to shim the top hinge which I did using some pretty thin shim steel, maybe 0.5mm, and ended up chipping the paint closing the door due to the reduced panel gap.

At the moment I’m back to living with a drooping door and knowing that one day I’ll have to do the hinge pin!!!

Edited by tonedef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is no play in the hinge and old trick is to put some timber under the door and a cloth and jack it up gently . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tonedef said:

I looked at doing this but due to the design of the hinges a shim moves the door forwards, narrowing the panel gap. To cure a drooping door caused by play in the bottom hinge I had to shim the top hinge which I did using some pretty thin shim steel, maybe 0.5mm, and ended up chipping the paint closing the door due to the reduced panel gap.

At the moment I’m back to living with a drooping door and knowing that one day I’ll have to do the hinge pin!!!

Chipping certainly is not nice.  I used two shims iirc (i'll have a check again!) to push the top out but i dont remember having any issues with alignment afterwards.. maybe my door is already wonky!

Yes you're right - shims behind the top hinge.  Bottom hinge will accentuate the drop

 

 

Edited by fla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fla said:

Chipping certainly is not nice.  I used two shims iirc (i'll have a check again!) to push the top out but i dont remember having any issues with alignment afterwards.. maybe my door is already wonky!

Yes you're right - shims behind the top hinge.  Bottom hinge will accentuate the drop

 

 

I probably made my panel gaps too small, after all it was me fitted the wings when it came out of the body shop so I’ve only got myself to blame haven’t I!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...