Jump to content
Keyo

Word of warning on Aftermarket alloy Radiators

Recommended Posts

So my car is in the body shop for some winter loving. Bonnet off plus front and rear bumpers spray paint (stone chips) + all new bumpers irons brackets, clips and bolts. 

To my horror got a call off the body shop and said you need a new radiator. Picture below  of these chinesium alloy radiator (it was the only off the shelf option at the time 3 years ago- Im not one to cheap out on parts. ) All these alloy rads look the same but have different branding on the graphics of advert. You can see the frame has failed and bowed at the bottom and also leaking. 

Im hoping this radiator from German company Dasis which is OE fitment is better then the alloy one. Pictures below - I was thinking about getting an alloy neck fitting but decided to go with a vag one as im sure I have seen mixed reviews on the billet ones ? 

Let me fit the Dasis radiator and I will give a review of fitment at least. Can get one from Autodoc for £100 or an English seller that delivers next day for £120.00. 

 

https://www.dasis.de/en/

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's shocking, even for aftermarket on the alloy rad. Hella rads were the recommended when I replaced mine in 2014. Still looks like new now - though I've only put about 2k miles on the car since then tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, seanl82 said:

That's shocking, even for aftermarket on the alloy rad. Hella rads were the recommended when I replaced mine in 2014. Still looks like new now - though I've only put about 2k miles on the car since then tbf.

Yes Hella rads would of been my first choice- they were  actually manufactured on behalf of Hella from a German company called AKG - I called them but no one in the office at the time because of Covid- so took the Dasis- I really hope its a good one - manufactured in Germany so fingers crossed. 

This is the firm that made the Hella rad. 

https://www.akg-group.com/products/radiators/

hella.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 8 years ago whilst doing a review of VAG I happened to stumble on the fact that the Corrado OEM rads came with Valeo, Hella and Nissens - the European market. My original rad kept developing problems with the side caps, so I bought a PWR radiator about 10 years ago. Small problem with the top right fitment, it fouled a lip next to the battery housing, but 5 mins with a dremel was enough.

Bought a Valeo copper radiator for my wife's Corrado. She used to do a lot of long high speed journeys from London to Newcastle three times a week, and that radiator ran the engine a lot cooler, on extended idle oil temps were a lot lower. Although it was almost £300 at the time, it was really worth the money. The welds were excellent.

Do let us know how you get on with that Dasis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bruno said:

About 8 years ago whilst doing a review of VAG I happened to stumble on the fact that the Corrado OEM rads came with Valeo, Hella and Nissens - the European market. My original rad kept developing problems with the side caps, so I bought a PWR radiator about 10 years ago. Small problem with the top right fitment, it fouled a lip next to the battery housing, but 5 mins with a dremel was enough.

Bought a Valeo copper radiator for my wife's Corrado. She used to do a lot of long high speed journeys from London to Newcastle three times a week, and that radiator ran the engine a lot cooler, on extended idle oil temps were a lot lower. Although it was almost £300 at the time, it was really worth the money. The welds were excellent.

Do let us know how you get on with that Dasis.

Will do Bruno I have checked the bolt fitment for the elbow neck and they are correct so that is a good start. That copper rad sounds awesome- Valeo still make a rad for the Mk2 Golf 16v and its only £32.00 what a bargain. 

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to add you can still get the OE VAG fan switch late type for a VR for £36.00. - got mine delivered from Listers Straford upon Avon who also can supply the vag bolts and washers for the neck and the bottom housing rubber buffer o rings. Part list below (FAN SWICH LATE VR) I will mention it again best vag dealers for parts and leasing- not even my local city we have shitty Johnsons. Chap even calls you up and says have the parts now and will be posting today anything else I can help you with . 

list.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No issues so far with the Hella/Behr unit I got from adrad.co.uk a couple of years ago - I don't think they have them at the moment though. Hopefully your replacement will hold up - they always look nice fresh out of the box before they've been fitted!

GBP 115.15
VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO (VW328)

ADVANCED RADIATORS LTD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fendervg said:

No issues so far with the Hella/Behr unit I got from adrad.co.uk a couple of years ago - I don't think they have them at the moment though. Hopefully your replacement will hold up - they always look nice fresh out of the box before they've been fitted!

GBP 115.15
VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO (VW328)

ADVANCED RADIATORS LTD

Will the OE radiator slam panel  brackets work with Dasis rad looking at the pictures ? 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look like they should - but hard to tell unless you have them side by side or actually trial fit it unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should fit nicely. I see it even has the hangers for the later version of aircon condenser, so yours was meant for a post 1993 VR6. The bottom pins did not change for VR6 Corrados even through the face lift. The top turret didnt change - only the aircon pipe hangers and condenser hangers.

Please post here when you've fitted it I need know how you get on with that one. Have a contact in the US who is worried about the pattern radiators available for his SLC over there and is scared of buying one from the UK without knowing that it will actually fit properly. Looks like the Valeo VR6 copper ones are still around but terribly expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do Bruno I have not seen a Valeo one for sale chap but please post a link if you have seen one. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EAN is 3276427346060. The Valeo part No is VALEO 734606. Cannot seem to find anybody with this in stock in the UK. Some Polish sources, but I don't read Polish.

The original copper version had this VAG part: 535121253, made in France, by Valeo. However I do not think VAG fitted them to Corrados as production radiators. The ones made in Germany were aluminium and had an E on the end; the final version had an M on the end, it was aluminium, made in Denmark, by Nissens. The E and M versions were fitted as production rads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Rad is for an Auto Brruno. you can still buy it mate. 

VALEO Radiator, engine cooling Copper, Automatic Transmission

Article number: 734606
    • Construction year to:07/1995
    • Engine Code:ABV
    • Transmission Type:Automatic Transmission
    • Vehicle Equipment:for vehicles with air conditioning (manually controlled)
    • Suspension:for vehicles with heavy duty suspension
    • Climate Zones:for hot climate zones
  • Material:Copper
  • Width [mm]:317
  • Outlet Ø [mm]:32
  • Inlet Ø [mm]:32
  • Thickness [mm]:33
  • Height [mm]:675
  • Weight [kg]:4,15
  • Housing Type:Synthetic Material Housing
  • VALEO:Radiator, engine cooling
  • Item number:734606
  • Our price:560,04 £
  • Manufacturer part number:734606
  • Manufacturer:VALEO
  • EAN number:3276427346060
  • Condition  New

 

  • Use number: VALEO 734606
  • EAN: VALEO 3276427346060
  • 2

    years warranty

  • 14

    14 Days Returns Policy

     
     
  • 200

    Safe Order 200 days

     
     
Add to wish list

 

 

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/valeo/1098315?gadw=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-JKMNvuPCXD5wsGgk4SnhPIRPn4TC-u89zcdWM3rAxqO2EfCAZl0ChoCgLEQAvD_BwE

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keyo said:

That Rad is for an Auto Brruno. you can still buy it mate. 

VALEO Radiator, engine cooling Copper, Automatic Transmission

Article number: 734606
    • Construction year to:07/1995
    • Engine Code:ABV
    • Transmission Type:Automatic Transmission
    • Vehicle Equipment:for vehicles with air conditioning (manually controlled)
    • Suspension:for vehicles with heavy duty suspension
    • Climate Zones:for hot climate zones
  • Material:Copper
  • Width [mm]:317
  • Outlet Ø [mm]:32
  • Inlet Ø [mm]:32
  • Thickness [mm]:33
  • Height [mm]:675
  • Weight [kg]:4,15
  • Housing Type:Synthetic Material Housing
  • VALEO:Radiator, engine cooling
  • Item number:734606
  • Our price:560,04 £
  • Manufacturer part number:734606
  • Manufacturer:VALEO
  • EAN number:3276427346060
  • Condition  New

 

  • Use number: VALEO 734606
  • EAN: VALEO 3276427346060
  • 2

    years warranty

  • 14

    14 Days Returns Policy

     
     
  • 200

    Safe Order 200 days

     
     
Add to wish list

 

 

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/valeo/1098315?gadw=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-JKMNvuPCXD5wsGgk4SnhPIRPn4TC-u89zcdWM3rAxqO2EfCAZl0ChoCgLEQAvD_BwE

Out of stock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd. Just had a gander at the one we have. No additional ports for autobox cooling. Same part number. Dont understand why autodoc gave it that profile. But do let me know how you get on with yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think for the auto it's only the top and bottom hoses that are different to allow another route to the cooler.  The rads are (should be) identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fla said:

i think for the auto it's only the top and bottom hoses that are different to allow another route to the cooler.  The rads are (should be) identical.

I was thinking that pretty sure you could mod it - maybe all air on rads came in copper as well for extra cooling ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes generally copper which is then plated to prevent excess corrosion form copper salts forming.  I think they use TSA.  I deal with some heat exchanger manufacturers although this is for industrial plant, but i'll see if they can look into some rads for us.  If anyone has an old rad they could measure up i'll ask the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pity the corrado vr6 is model specific for radiators - have not seen a top manufactured one (eg Hella) for long time new

Plenty for the golf and even t4 van

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ger040 said:

pity the corrado vr6 is model specific for radiators - have not seen a top manufactured one (eg Hella) for long time new

Plenty for the golf and even t4 van

Sure for a Mk2 golf you are spoilt rotten at a cost of a three course meal for a top quality rad. - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 11:18 AM, Keyo said:

I was thinking that pretty sure you could mod it - maybe all air on rads came in copper as well for extra cooling ? 

The SLC ones were all alluminium. They really had problems with those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update, 

Fitted the Dasis Radiator today and the fit is excellent to OE spec- all parts lined up including the top brackets - time will tell how well it cools and lifespan. 

One thing I did notice was the aftermarket fan switch sensor in the rad I took out had a copper washer- however the genuine vag one did not have a washer and etka does not show the fan switch as having any kind of o ring washer- its not leaking either after fitting. Anyone confirm that the vag one does not have a copper washer as per etka. 

Cheers. 

 

raddd.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Fitted mine with some pipe thread Sealant. 
Have you had the front wings sprayed again mate 

No chap had them taken off as having a comprehensive underseal and under panel inspection. Yeah chap I was tempted to do that to mine will do no harm - for the life of me I dont think the oe one is meant to have an o ring - the aftermarket ones seem to have a shorter and less complicated thread that come with the o ring. Main job paint front bumoer + rear bumper + bonnet spray as stone chipped and swirling. the wings are actually in good condition surprisingly. Couple of rust patches on the underbody on the rear arches needed cutting out- also on the bottom of the a pillars - got in there early to stop it in its path. 

Edited by Keyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...