Jump to content
MJA

Electrolysis and metal part restoration

Recommended Posts

Thought I would have a go at electrolysis on some brake carriers. I got myself a bucket, sacrificial brake disc, biocarbonate soda, water and a battery plus trickle charger.

 

1 table spoon of soda per gallon of water.

 

Left for around 24 hrs but turning on and off rather than leaving over night.

 

I did no prep to the carriers but did brush down wire brush after the process.

 

I think they turned out pretty good for minimal effort. Will clean them up and paint next. Crusty rust has gone but wire brush left dusty rust deposits to be cleaned before paint.

 

Some before and after pics. Will grab a pic of the setup later. Pretty simple to do just don't let the stuff you're cleaning touch the sacrificial metal (brake disc in my case).

 

Might have a go at zinc plating for bolts and bits next and will update thread.

 

If anyone has tips please post and of anyone wants to know more post questions.f13c6b6f5b5c5f703cf3d59935c87483.jpg4164f68cf7452a14e229c8ec5f1f7af3.jpg

 

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great results there, might give it a try myself

Hasan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

👍Great work.  I occasionally do this as it seems some black magic going off to make the sacrificial part rusty.

But now I have found Bilt Hamber deox c and that stuff creates even better results with less effort. I would definitely recommend this as it seems to clean the whole metal better. You wont be disappointed  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181161232758?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gt2bXHAaQNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SuQ1hX6ZSQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With how clean you have them now, dunk them in the bilt hamber and it takes it back to clean bare metal.

I occasionally lift the parts and may rub any rust bits just to help the process along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh bugger I should have done the doex gel as have some here but have now stayed them silver and fitted to the car.

In other news it didn't solve the clonk which I now believe is the ARB hitting the wishbone on passenger side. Only does it once or twice on a journey. Car is going on shacker machine at a garage on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...