Sign in to follow this  
randal

Multiple symptoms pointing towards over-fuelling?

Hello All,

Been away for a bit, thought I'd pop up and say hey again. What better way than with a problem... :roll:

My C, bless it is

a) smelling like fuel at idle

b) suffering from mucho blackened exhaust

c) chowing through fuel like there's no tomorrow (about 330 miles to the tank, with M'way!)

d) smoking when cold, with fuel smell.

Is she over fuelled? And where's the adjuster for it? Is it on the throttle body?

TIA all, any help much obliged.

Randal :)

Sounds like you're definitely overfuelling

Mixture adjustment screw may have unwound itself & may even have fallen out - should be located on the throtle body somewhere :wink:

fuel mixture adjust screw is down that little tube on top of the metering head, just by where all of the fuel pipes attach... 8)

Sounds like your fuel thermo switch may have popped it's clogs... :| Do KR engines have a blue temp sensor? I can't remember it's so long since I worked on one... If it does, then it may be that this has died and needs replacing... 8)

stevemac, Henny, cheers for the replies first off. :) Woo, was right - overfuelling. Sigh, another problem to sort. I'll have a look tomorrow morning, when it's light - although a few beers, torch and a screwdriver could prove amusing :D

Henny, I *think* there's a blue plugin sensor on the fuel rail on the right hand side - is this the puppy you are talking about?

Henny, I *think* there's a blue plugin sensor on the fuel rail on the right hand side - is this the puppy you are talking about?

No - blue temp sensor would be in the plastic housings that attach the water hoses to the cylinder head/crankcase.

I doubt you'll have one fitted - uncommon with K-Jetronic (mechanical) injection

that blue plugin sensor on the inlet manifold (you don't have a fuel rail as such, hence all the pipes! ;) ) is the 5th injector... maybe worth disconnecting that to see if it makes any difference to the economy as they do sometimes leak causing overfuelling...