Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

BANG GOES THE VR6 ENGINE!

After hearing a very dodgy noise from my Corrado and the fact that the thing pulled about aswell as a Robin reliant alarm bells were ringing that there was something majorly wrong with her.

So out comes this recovery truck company who do work for the aa, the guys English was pretty bad so I thought, "oh here we go" he looked at the engine for about 10 seconds and told me I need a rebuild, valveseals, pistons and gaskets I think?

So I said "are you absolutley sure thats right"

he laughed and said that he also has a Corrado, although his is kicking out 500bhp, naturally I laughed in his face but it seems that the guy really knows his stuff. He has a 20v turbo lump with nos and I can't remember what else due to his broken English but I got the impression that weather or not it has 500bhp, it is a mean machine I have to see, he told me he has spent £30k on the car!, the Corrado is yellow and he is always at the Aces Cafe meets, anyone seen it?

His brother (who coincedently was the driver for the truck that towed me away!) said that he can get me a golf vr6 engine, p reg, low miles for £450-£500, but what about the drop in power?

He reckons it will be £1,500-£2,000 for the rebuild and I may be better off with a new lump although his quote of £200 to fit the engine did seem a little conservative?

so I'm looking out possibly for a 225 20v turbo engine or possibly even the new 2.0tdi which I don't think anyone has fitted to a Corrado yet? or atleast not that I've heard of. I know there is one or 2 people on here that have the 20vturbo lump i there Corrado, whats it like compared to the VR6?, does the extra power outweigh the VR6's smoothness, refinement and sound?

cheers guys. :wink:

get a second opinion!!!!!.........if someone can look over an engine for 10 secs and decide it needs a rebuild then i'd love to meet him

Yea i wouldent take a brake down van drivers opion as gospel, One time i got stuck when the maf connector had fallen off, he missed that completely and diagnosed it as a head gasket, and promptly rang back to the depot to get a price for me. Found the problem later that evening

I think this is serious guys, engine sump is bone dry and I have very recently filled it right up with synta silver, I think it must of been misfiring, the oil certainly wasn't leaking from anywhere else.

Anyway I have been offered so far a 20v turbo 225 from a 51 reg car with just 3,500 miles for £1,900+vat. But like you say, I will definitley get a second opinion.

Jeez samm, ouch, with oil loss like that you must have been laying a smoke screen like a WW2 destroyer. Was all this as sudden as you seem to suggest or did she take a while to expire. Bit surprising as the motor is normally pretty bombproof. Has it still got a sump plug in?

Yea, it happened all within a few miles, usually I am cruising at 1,500 revs or so on the way to work apart from the occasion when I drop down to t hird to overtake and rev it up!

Anyway, I had detected the tale tale white smoke on occasion, particularly in second gear for some reason, tho this was not very obvious, you had to look out for it. I left Orpington and by the time I had got to Bromley I knew something was majorly wrong with her, It's not like I was abusing or neglecting the car at all, I think it's time had just come, 134k on the clock, sump plug is fine :| , no oil loss there, I even topped up with a litre of oil before I left work aswell!

what is you'r car running like bigger ben? must be pretty mental, 225 better than vr6? :?

I feel embarssed to admit that it is still not on the road yet... hopefully will get it started this weekend and ready for its first drive... i'm looking forward to it!!!

lots of wiring etc to do first though...

Oh I see, well, let us know when you have it running. btw, how much did your 1.8 20v cost to buy? was it 180 or 225bhp version? and how much to fit? just trying to get as much info as possible