Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

boost return line removal - how do i do it?

I did a search on here and the vortex to try and find out what is involved with doing the boost return line removal. I also read the post on the 'downsides' of removing it. I am seriously considering doing this, but I have no idea on what is involved with it. Could someone please tell me how to do it and what is involved or at least point me in the right direction on where i could get the information. Thanks a bunch guys!

keep in mind i am from the US...how much do they sell the kits for? i am going to be reemed from the currency exchange and the shipping if i get anything from you guys unless you can hook up a great deal. anyways, what parts are needed for the mod? what about the sensor that mounts on the boost return line? what happens to that?

You need a blanking plate for the right hand side of the charger, a breather filter to go on the ISV, and a bit of pipe to carry the oil vapours from your breather to your preffered destination (i.e. a catch tank, or the floor!)

keep in mind i am from the US...how much do they sell the kits for? i am going to be reemed from the currency exchange and the shipping if i get anything from you guys unless you can hook up a great deal. anyways, what parts are needed for the mod? what about the sensor that mounts on the boost return line? what happens to that?

Your looking at about £40, which at a guess is approx $60/70 plus the postage.

Dan

hm... maybe i will see if i can find a machine shop to make me a plate insted...it will probably be so much cheaper. but besides the block off plate i have to get a filter for the ISV line and a pipe for the oild vapors? is the pipe for the oil vapors totally needed? if i dont have it what will happen?

is the pipe for the oil vapors totally needed? if i dont have it what will happen?

you will have a very oily engine bay :lol: :lol:

mine just feeds to a pipe that goes under the car and i have an aluminium bottle for when its mot time

you also asked what to do about the sensor on the boost return line

if you are talking about the top plastic hose on the right of the engine thats not the boost return pipe its the boost feed from the intercooler which you dont alter

the pipe you remove is the one that goes from the top of the charger to the bottom of the throttle body

Ok I am not crazy; here is the best picture I could get of the line off hand:

example%20of%20sensor.jpg

What am I supposed to do with that sensor?

What size is this tube that I need to get to control the oil? Also, since I have an ISV reroute will this effect the removal of the return line? I only ask this because you guys mention needing to get a filter for the ISV, and the hose that comes off of the ISV now goes directly into the boost line. So is the filter going to be necessary anymore? I need to find out what to do with that sensor, get a tube to reroute the oil, and get a block off plate. I believe since I have the ISV reroute I don’t need the filter for the ISV. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I have also seen insted of a block off plate, I have seen someone have another filter on there. Is there any perks to going like that? More cool air for the charger? Let me know guys. any cons to having another filter where the block off plate would be?

sorry to hijact this but as for the sensor that is on the original boost pipe goin to the inlet, i am replacein all this pipework (golf i/c), will i need to cut the plastic pipe up so it's only small is just the sensor and put this between the new pipe workor can i leave the sensor off

ah ok that is different to the uk spec g60 we dont have that sensor whatever it is

im sure someone will know what it is and if you can just disconnect it

not sure about the isv re route? mine just has the filter directly on the isv and a pipe straight from the oil breather to ground i will try and post some pics up 2 moro

as for the second filter on the charger if it has a cold air feed and a heat shield it would be effective otherwise its just getting hot air from the engine bay

i think the single filter flows plenty of air allready though

i found out that it is an oil breather sensor. now i just need to figure out if it is completly nessesary for the system. i know for my 16v swap, i just unplugged it and everything seemed to work out fine. if any of you guys could let me know, please do. =]

Can you not start the car & unplug it. If it runs like crap you know need the sensor or not.

Here's my boost return kit if it helps at all

engine.jpg

Dan

yeah i ended up changing my mind about the return removal. i wasnt finding any real perks about it. i talked to a few people and found out that the sensor is basically useless and would do nothing if i were to unplug it. it is just there for california emmisions. maybe you guys can talk me back into doing the removal of the return. please tell me all perks about it and any cons about it as well.

a friend of mine was under the impression that it doesnt matter if it is circulating the unused boost because as soon as you actually get on it that air will be gone because it will have sucked in new air by the time you actually were getting on the pedal.

also he suggested to put a filter on the bottom of the throttle body just so you dont have an open hole where things could possibly get in.

how does the car sound at idle with the return gone too? does it have a constant hiss from their being dumped out? does it throw off the vacuume system?

i found the following pro's and con's

pro's

slightly better mpg

better boost when at full temperature

charger runs much cooler

the awsome psssshhhhhh sound :lol:

con's

none whatsoever (altough the psssshhhhh sound is not to everyones taste)

the sound at idle is the same without the boost return, there is no real need for a filter on the throttle body as it only ever blows outwards, it dosnt effect the vacume system at all

the main reason for this mod is to eliminate the hot allready compressed air being fed back through the system, hotter air =lower power, also the inside of the charger is coated with a special coating which gets prematurely washed away by the hot oily air, i think the only reason the return is there is for emissisions standards

i did the mod, i am pretty happy with it so far. i will have some pictures and video soon. only thing i dont like so far is the mess of oil that comes out the bottom of the throttle body where the line used to be. i was thinking about getting another tube to re route it away from falling onto the downpipe and whatnot.

what is everyone doing with oil breather pipe? I mean the people who have oil catch tranks problem solved... but people who dont, what are you guys doing?

i did the mod, i am pretty happy with it so far. i will have some pictures and video soon. only thing i dont like so far is the mess of oil that comes out the bottom of the throttle body where the line used to be. i was thinking about getting another tube to re route it away from falling onto the downpipe and whatnot.

if this contiunes your charger is weeping via the oil seals....

what is everyone doing with oil breather pipe? I mean the people who have oil catch tranks problem solved... but people who dont, what are you guys doing?

evrybody need to run a catch tank really they cost from 89p up to £85.00 depending on how posh a catch tank you require.

I just ran a hose down under the car. The constant hiss is something new, but it makes the car sound really sweet when you are changing through the gars under full boost. I am really happy with how much room it cleared up in the front of the engine bay.

The greatest thing about it is that I spent under $10 USD for the whole kit I made myself.$10 for better throttle response, less wear on the charger, colder boost, better MPG(? I have only had it on my car for 1 day now so I really haven’t noticed a difference in MPG yet), the hiss sounds pretty cool when getting on the throttle and changing gears, more room in the engine bay, and more...for $10, this is the best mod I have done yet.