Sign in to follow this  
Purple Monster

I'm getting desperate!!

Hi all

Not strictly a rado question but ... I have a MkI golf with a rado g60 with cable box that refuses to go into gear. It goes in when off and drives but then won't change and just grinds when trying to engage when switched on. So far have set up the alignment on top of the box with the correct VW tool, replaced the clutch, master & slave cylinders and she still doesn't want to play...

Is there anything else I can check / replace before getting the box stripped?

Any help greatly appreciated, as if I have to buy a new box I'll cry :cry:

Is it second gear that you have trouble with???

It is likely the synchro mesh has collapsed and it is normally second gear that goes first! Thats exactly what happened to mine

Cheeky? certainly not... :D This isn't the kind of forum where we get all arsey with anyone who's car isn't a corrado... 8)

Need a few more details though...

Can you pull it out of gear when you're driving (using the clutch) with little to no resistance?

When the engine's not on, can you select each gear with no problems, and start the car with the clutch pressed down then move the car to show that you've actually selected the gear once the engine's running?

Is it ALL gears, or just a couple of 'em?

Did you replace the clutch release bearing when you did the clutch?

What clutch did you put in there?

It sounds to me more like the clutch isn't releasing properly rather than a gearbox fault if you can't get ANY gear once the engine is running... :|

I have recently changed to redline oil in my box, which made no end of difference to the shift of my syncro. It used to be really reluctant to go in any gear when on the move.

Gavin

Many thanks for your help guys

I can't get it out of gear at all once in and running, whereas I can select all bar reverse once switched off :? . I'll have to check with the mech whether the realease bearing was replaced, it was a sachs clutch that went in there. I'll have to check what oil was used aswell!

I'll be going through all suggestion with mech 2morrow so will let u know how it all goes...

Cheers

Adie

No joy at all so having to look at a new box. The saga continues in 'Gearbox for bottoem end perf'............

Thanks for all suggestions, I think he was surprised when I handed him a printed sheet of all the ideas :o