Sign in to follow this  
Purple Monster

Gearbox for bottom end performance

Hi

I've got a post running 'I'm so desperate' which chronicles my ongoing probs with my gearbox. If I can't fix the problem then I'm going to have to replace the box.

At present my G60 lump is chipped, pulleyed, flowed and has a Rallye IC giving 200+ BHP. I'm finding that I lack the gearing to really get the most bottom end (seem to be changing gear so quickly) and would like to replace with a box that will give me more drive early on (and poke) for quicker 0-60 . I'm not overly bothered if I have to sacrifice a bit of top end.

Any suggestions?

Also would a quaife diff make much difference in the same respect?

Cheers

Adie

I think Henny had his box rebuilt with 1st and 2nd from a VR6. He also has an LSD fitted. he'd be a good one to ask.

Gavin

you're gonna need an LSD in there to get that power onto the ground, especially in a MKI where there's feck all weight!

A VR6 1st and 2nd gear put into the G60 box will allow you to hit 60 in second and makes the feel of the whole box a bit better (gave me a 7sec 0-60 in my corrado, you can probably knock a second off that with a lightweight MKI! :crazyeyes: ) and there are some other people on here running MKIII 16V boxes which are supposed to be very good too if you don't want to have the cost of a rebuild on your hands (Scruffydubber is running one I think)

*edit* Oi! Gav! stop pre-empting my posts! :lol: 8)

Sounds like a good idea once I get her running again. Is the VR6 cable change, if so would a direct swap be a good option and are there any LSD's that you would recomend ? Would there be much difference from the VR6 to the MkII 16v box, and will it fit direct ?

I really want to get her on the 1/4's :D and see what she can do in comparison to my MkII 16v golf which only ran a 16.2 :(

Unfortunately I'm still learning about engines so really appreciate your advice. I would like to get this right first time(ish) so will probably be back with more questions soon :oops:

Cheers

Adie

The VR box IS cable change, but you can't use it with any other engine other than the VRs 'cos the bell housing is totally different, so it's a "strip both boxes and rebuild using the bits you need" job... :| The MKIII 16V box should just fit straight in, but you'd be better to ask Scruffy about that as I've not done that conversion (yet! ;) )

I've got the Quaife LSD in my box, and I know that PhatVR6 would recommend the Peloquin LSD which is basically identical, just American... :lol:

can you get hold of the 1st & 2nd gears from anywhere or is it a strip down another box type job as i wouldnt mind doing this too :?:

as for LSD just say NO :Fade-color :scrambleup: :rainbow1: :lol:

the parts you need are only available from VAG and cost a sodding fortune, so it's much cheaper to get hold of a good second hand VR6 box and get the parts taken out of that! 8)

Personally, I'd be interested in looking into the MKIII 16V box route if I was going to be doing this again, as this'll probably work out quite a bit cheaper in the long run... Again, you'd want to chat to scruffy about it to work out what kinda ratios it has in it and how drivable it makes the car... 8)

guys talking about LSD what is the ram or ramp angle ??? its just i was talking to someone about it and not to sound stupid i didnt ask lol

I used the internals of a golf mk3 16v box coupled with a vr6 corrado final drive and put that in to a rallye box so anythings possible . :D

guys talking about LSD what is the ram or ramp angle ??? its just i was talking to someone about it and not to sound stupid i didnt ask lol

The ramp angle is the angle that the worm gears inside the diff are cut to... Basically the steeper the angle the quicker the diff will lock up... I'm pretty certain that Quaifes are set at 45degree and Peloquins are set slightly steeper so lock up slightly sooner than the Quaife would...

would a passat tdi box do the job :?:

That all depends on what the gear ratios in the box are... :|

oh ok because he was telling me with the LSD he gets you can choose different ramp angles and i had no idea which

he was running 30%

yeah, there's a load of different types of LSD available... Different manufacturers allow different configurations, Trans-X, for example, have a system whereby you change one plate and that then changes the angles...

Sling "LSD" + "ramp angle" into google and you'll get a whole shed load of info on it... 8)

i have a headache now

going to go and have a afternoon nap what we spanish do best and try and tackle that then lol

but its somethign im def thinking of now that i should have a few more ponnies to work with :D

Bad news :cry: mech tried pretty much everything on the clutch side of things so it's gonna have 2b a new box. Is there anyone you would recomend for either reconning my current box, producing a custom built one with the required ratios or providing a part ex recon box for my current one?

Also, any ideas what I would expect to pay for these options... (failry standard config, I can't afford a 'seriously specced' set up at the mo)

One Place:

Stealth racing

One person:

Vince...

He be the god of all boxes VW.... (IMHO) 8)

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

give him a call to talk spec, price and time....

Thanks for that.

I've dropped him (them) an email with my needs ( and wish list if the price is right!). Hopefully I can get sorted out fairly quickly as I'm getting seriously fed up with not being able to play at the weekends and the dry weekends are getting fewer :(

Newark003.jpg All show and no go? Let's find out :twisted:

Hi

What great service from stealth, got a reply from vince at 22.15!!! does this man ever sleep???.

Am going for the rebuild with the VR6 gears by stealth :) Will let you know how it pans out. I just wish I had some 1/4 times from the old set up to make some comparisons (when I finally get her up and sprinting). If I can get near 6 secs as Henny foretells then it'll all be worth it :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your advice

Adie

Oh t*ts, someone out bid me in the last 5 seconds on e-bay for a VR6 box :cry: and I can't find another for sale at the moment

There's an "O2J code 5 speed gearbox from a MK4 Golf 20v Turbo. This gearbox will also fit other vehicles in the VAG range, including certain Seat, Skoda, VW and Audi models" on there at the moment, does anyone know if this would fit as a direct swap for the 02A(G60)?