Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Cai Golf G60 (fitted new G ready for bodyshop)

Thats within my reach. uum, maybe a possibility.

Would chrome take to a charger though? There made of magnesium alloy so I've know idea if that can be chromed or not. I'm sure I've seen a chromed charger before though.

pretty sure someone on here has a chrome charger. They used a pic of it in their sig.

Interesting, but the charger still hasn’t arrived from US yet. So I cant start polishing it! :-( I'll polish it and then find out about chroming. Anyone no an electroplater in North Wales area?

It is possible that the one I saw was polished & not chromed.

I polished a set of wheels a few years ago with a drill, polishing wheel & a tube of Solvol Autosol - ended up with a "mirror" finish.

Charger arrived today. I've only seen the inside of a couple of chargers but seeing as it was an unknown it looks okay to me.

The shaft has a little rust on it under the counter weight which should clean off. I don’t think it’s really a problem. I'll probably use the one from my old charger anyway.

The outer casings are excellent, not thin near the apex seals, no major step, marks or anything.

The scroll is a bit thin in one place where the apex seal goes. Also some marks on it. Check out the picture. What do you think?

More pictures, the red arrows point to where the displacer (is that the scroll?) is thinnest.

Its hard to tell really looking at the pictures. The other side of the scroll is pretty mint. The main shaft is a bit fubar’ed though, rust and looks like there’s some wear on it. It my have some oil blockage issues inside the main shaft. I should be okay to use the shaft from my blown one though?

What do you think? I only paid £240 including the shipping. So I think it’s pretty good really, worth a rebuild and should hopefully do another 20K or so.

Id have thought it came out of the factory with a thin bit like that.

The opposite side is thicker though. There’s not much in it around 0.3 to 0.5mm, but when the edge is only around 1.5mm in its thickest place then 0.5mm smaller is quite a bit, 1/3 or 33%.

Right, its been a long time coming but an update.

My chargers with Darren getting the G-Werks magic. :) Got a new charger mount as Im not happy with the old one. All new VAG charger, charger bracket and alternator bracket bolts on the way. Plus a new short charger belt.

Also treated the charger to a new bar-tek 68mm pulley as my old one is a bit tatty and heavy. This bar-tek ones mint, looks like its black anodised billet aluminium with bar-tek, etc engraved in it.

hey cool mate nice pulley my charger is with darren as we speak!

Hopefully geting mine back in the next couple of days.

nice looking pulley you got there mate, did you say you bought a brand new charger in the end?

No I bought a 2nd hand one off the bay. I think its pritty good, always had a standard pulley on it, which is good.

Got all new VAG bolts and the last alternator pulley in the UK. (thanks to Grathies off dubforce for trawling through etka and finding all the part numbers) Should make a nice new home for my charger.

skinp,,,,

you been busy mate!!

just got back from france with sam.... knackered mate!

speak soon!!!!!

Hi Ben mate, yeah Im getting there with it now. I spoke to Sam the other night for the first time in ages. I’m coming up to N Wales on Sat night until Monday morning so I'll see you for a pint on Sat. If your about I'll be sorting my car out on Sunday down Wern with Sam so pop down to play.

Started putting it all back together ready for a visit to the body shop.

Charger and Bracket back from Darren. (g-werks) :D :D

newrechrager.JPG

Its not looking to great after leaving it standing for a while, gutted. :cry: Needs the bumpers doing, wheels polishing and an oil change then it'll be sorted. :D

mycarwern.JPG

Got it booked into the body shop at my local stealers on Monday for a few minor touch ups to make it spotless. Theres two minor paint chips on the door from car parks which need doing, also getting that strip on the bottom of the grill replaced and painted with a new panel. I may have to get some chrome bolts on the BBS before selling it just to finish it off nice for the next owner. :roll: :D Also that way it'll be close to immaculate. 8) :lol:

its a beaut mate, didn't realise your selling :(

Yeah, had it 4 or 5 years now and its time for a change. Still cant resist buying things for it and making it mint though. Got to stop myself from keeping it or I'll have it forever. :lol: Sensible TDi Passat daily and a project mk1 are on the cards. :lol: 8) :lol: