Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Alternator '90 1.8 16v

Hi again :D

My car has had a few electrical probs the last few days for example the interior light loom is broken somewhere and is telling my alarm that the doors are open :roll:

But this afternoon i started my car and got to the end of the road and the alt light on the dash came on, so i stopped the car and checked the alt and belt and everything looked ok, I then tried to start the car and it wouldnt even turn over.

Walked back up the road and got my girlfriends car to jump start mine and the alt light stayed on all the way home. I left the car running whille i went to the garage and it cut out,when i then looked at the dash there were no electrics at all.

Im assuming that its the alternator if anybody things otherwise please let me know asap cos im picking one up from my mate who has a spares shop in town he wants £75 for a brand new one, is this a fair price?

I was thinking should i uprate the alt while i need one im not sure what other will work on my car and give a higher output does anybody know.

Cheers J

Hi again :D

My car has had a few electrical probs the last few days for example the interior light loom is broken somewhere and is telling my alarm that the doors are open :roll:

But this afternoon i started my car and got to the end of the road and the alt light on the dash came on, so i stopped the car and checked the alt and belt and everything looked ok, I then tried to start the car and it wouldnt even turn over.

Walked back up the road and got my girlfriends car to jump start mine and the alt light stayed on all the way home. I left the car running whille i went to the garage and it cut out,when i then looked at the dash there were no electrics at all.

Im assuming that its the alternator if anybody things otherwise please let me know asap cos im picking one up from my mate who has a spares shop in town he wants £75 for a brand new one, is this a fair price?

I was thinking should i uprate the alt while i need one im not sure what other will work on my car and give a higher output does anybody know.

Cheers J

check the brush pack first, I've never had much trouble with VW alternators but the brushes do wear out, only two phillips screws to undo on the back of the unit and less than a tenner for a new brush pack.

I wouldn't buy a new alternator anyway, you could pick up one from a scrappy for less than 20 quid and if the bearings are smooth just fit a new brush pack again.

David.