Sign in to follow this  
golddust

loads of problems! Lets begin with poor warm starting...

Hi everyone,

I'm a corrado newbie and am finding a few hard to work out problems.... I've got a 1.8 16v 1991 model.

First off, I've found that if I drive the car for a bit then stop the engine at the end of my journey it's ok to start within about 20 mins but if I leave it for lets say 2 hours or so, then it just doesn't want to start! It will fire first time but die after a second or two, then won't restart. After turning it over for what seems like ages (about 30-40 seconds) it'll finally carefully splutter into minimal life. Little tickle on the accelerator then it's fine. Any ideas?

I've changed the fuel filter so we can rule that out. I dismantled the air box and discovered quite a bit of oil on the K&N filter. The bottom half of the airbox has been drilled and buggered up presumeably to let in more air.

On a cold start in the morning it does at least fire first time but it's then really sluggish. If I touch the accelerator it begins to die and is really sluggish until it's warmed up after a few miles.

Finally when I'm driving it feels like it's holding back, the acceleration is just poor until about 5000rpm when it picks up. No matter how much I press the accelerator nothing makes any difference, quite honestly a diesel ford fiesta could out accelerate me!

I'm assuming it must be a dodgy sensor or something but have no idea which, or what to do about it. I am mechanically competent so any help on where to look is much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to The Forum! 8)

There's a couple of other threads about very similar problems with the KR engines active at the moment, so I'd advise you to have a browse through those and see if any of them help you out...

In brief, people are having problems with:

The dizzy wearing which causes the difficult warm starts and holding back feeling when warm (and in severe cases can cause the engine to cut out)

Injectors being either blocked or leaky

Vaccuum leaks

Warm up regulators going a bit doo-lally

and general crap having got into the system... :|

Have a flick through the other posts and see if there's anything there which rings any bells... 8)

Good luck! 8)

Ta for that!

I think before I go the injector route I'll start with the plugs and leads, although it had a VW service 6 months and 1500 miles ago....

Incidentally, my current spark plug tools are too large to fit down the hole in the 16v head... Anyone know if I need a different tool or something?

:?:

Will also take off the distributer and have a look at the rotor, the rodney that owned the car before I wouldn't be surprised if he changed the distributer and not the rotor! :roll:

yeah, give her a full service and see what happens...

VAG oil filter

Synta Silver oil (VAG)

New plugs (my old 16V used to LOVE Bosch triple point plugs)

Rotor arm

Dizzy cap

and check the leads... they're not exactly cheap on a valver, so make sure you're certain that they may be at fault before forking out your hard earned... ;) 8)

To remove the plugs on a valver, I've always used a ratchet with a sparkplug socket that I got in a cheapo set which is nice and thin.... I wouldn't like to use it for anything other than plugs 'cos it's so cheap and nasty, but it fits nicely into the holes in the rocker cover! :lol: :mrgreen:

hey Dave, welcome to the forum..

when I got my rado I changed, sparks, rotar arm, dizzy cap, HT leads, fuel filter, cleaned the idel valve & the inlet.. touch would I havent hade any major probs... :roll:

yeah, give her a full service and see what happens...

To remove the plugs on a valver, I've always used a ratchet with a sparkplug socket that I got in a cheapo set which is nice and thin....

Yeah I was trying to use my socket set but it's still too big! I reckon it's a trip to Halfords again!