Sign in to follow this  
headmonkey

Problem number one: Front Spots

Hello,

I've bought the car on friday (white 2.0 16v). Drove it to Bath from London (sweet drive on motorway, great drive on A Roads, big grin on face). And now the first problem:

When the front spots are switched on, the dash lights fade on the first click and the smaller inner spots turn on. On the second click the dash lights fade even more and the main spots don't come on at all. The headlights main and dip work fine but make no difference to the spots.

Is this a common prob with Vdub electrics? and if so is there a common procedure to work out the fault?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Can you ask your question again but bear in mind that the lights by the front indicators are foglights which have a separate switch to the headlights. On the foglight switch the first click puts on the front fogs the second click, which puts on the warning light in the switch, is the rear fog/s.

For the headlights there is a twin filament H4 bulb in the outer lights, dip and main beam. The inner lights have one 55W bulb each and come on when you flash the lights with the switch or when selecting main beam with the headlights on.

Another consideration is the dim-dip resistor. When you turn on the sidelights, first click on the headlight switch, a low voltage is passed to the dip beam filaments in the headlight. The second click will bring on the dip beam at full power.

If you were to conduct all these checks with the engine off, each additional load would affect the brightness of the dash lighting. Only a little bit though.

Hope that helps if not ask again.

Gavin

Sorry, my question really only concerns the 4 foglights in the front bumper.

Basically with the first click of the foglight switch the front fog lights turn on, but this is only the smaller inner lights and not the main larger spots. With the second click the rear fogs turn on and the switch warning light also comes on. Wheather or not the car is running each click will always dim the dash lights. Also, when are the larger outer spots supposed to come on?

The larger ones you talk of are the indicators mate. I can't explain the dimming dash if it does it with the engine/alternator running.

Gavin

OOOps :oops: I've just realised what you were saying H100VW. Now I really do feel a tad on the dumb side :oops:

But still, surely the dash lights shouldn't dim so much with each succesive click?

They shouldn't but VW electrics sometimes take on an Italian theme. :mrgreen:

It's difficult to say for sure without seeing it in person.

Gavin