Sign in to follow this  
mildmanneredjanitor

Radiator fan prob

Hi chaps, new here (Hello!), have popped into the Yahoo site before, but this seemed a much better option.

I have a few probs with the C at the mo - '89 1.8 16v.

When I switch off the engine, the fan comes on automatically (for about 10-15 mins?) even if the engine has not reached temperature. I'm guessing that this is controlled by a sensor that may be kaput?

Trouble is, there are other coolant related issues to... Bear with me!

The heater seems to have stopped working also and the temperature rises (according to the gauge and MFA) much quicker than normal and reaches up to about 100 when in traffic. This quickly subsides when travelling again.

The poor thing needs a bloody good service and what have you.. just got all the bits including a thermostat (thought that maybe the issue at first before I noticed the fan problem - All the faults seem to have appeared simultaneously?)

Also bought a sunroof doofer (Thanks Mike :wink: ) But that'll have to wait for another day!

Sorry, long (nearly) first post!

P.S. Does no-one flash and wave anymore??? Or is that just miserable Devonshire C'ers? 8)

yep we're all miserable sods :D keep an eye on the spotted thread

There is a sensor for fan overun, have a look at wiring diagram as I can't rememer what sensor controls it! Re heater problems 100 degs seems good to me, however, have you checked your fans running when your fully warm as the overun switch and thermostat switch (bottom of rad) are independant?

Re changing the thermostat (tho it seems fine from what you've said) you've got to remove the power steering pump, as it's on the bottom elbow of the water pump - right pain in the ass.

Change the thermoswitch on the Rad (between the top and botom hoses), the overrun is regulated by the abient air temp which is in the bumper.

yep we're all miserable sods :D keep an eye on the spotted thread

Ah, a local! (I'm from the 'Riviera' 8))

Re changing the thermostat (tho it seems fine from what you've said) you've got to remove the power steering pump, as it's on the bottom elbow of the water pump - right pain in the ass.

Removed the housing today to discover.... No thermostat! :oops:

And yes, it was... :shock:

Also discovered a broken connector on a temp sender? Top/front of engine just behind the lifting eye. Poor picture attached! The number written on it is: 1919195210, could this be adding to the problems listed, or is this something else!

Shall I order the one (suggested by Supercharged) also???

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Also, I am changing the belts and was sent the wrong bloody belt :evil: Power steering belt was correct, but the alternator was too small. (goes around the power steering pulley also)

ah torquay then :D there's getting to be more and more of us from SW - have to organise a meet sometime

Weird about not having a thermostat, thought that would have taken you ages to warm up?

re the sensor, I didn't know there was a sender down there?! from picture it looks like the one with a saucer shaped contact on it off the cylinder head - have no idea what it does tho, there's 3 or 4 other little ones on side of head too can't hurt to replace them but have heard not to tighten or they'll bust

the thermoswitch supercharged mentions is same as thermostat switch i mention, but on valver it's bottom nearside of rad, i thought the ambient air temp sensor was attached to top of the brake cooler ducts, and if that's faulty presume your MFA temp sender won't work either?

welcome to the world of valver sensor probs :lol:

the overrun is regulated by the abient air temp which is in the bumper.

No it's not... the ambient air temp sensor in the bumper is ONLY for the MFA outside temp display... mine's in my airbox so I can see what my air inlet temp is before it hits the 'charger! :lol:

Also discovered a broken connector on a temp sender? Top/front of engine just behind the lifting eye. Poor picture attached! The number written on it is: 1919195210, could this be adding to the problems listed, or is this something else!

That's the fan run-on temp sensor... if the wire to this has broken off and is shorting against the engine then the fan run-on circuit will assume that the engine is HOT and keep the fan on for the kind of times you mention... mend the wire and see if it works as it should... 8)

No it's not... the ambient air temp sensor in the bumper is ONLY for the MFA outside temp display... mine's in my airbox so I can see what my air inlet temp is before it hits the 'charger!

Ah.. sorry, I got that off here somewhere I think...

Thanx 4 all the input gents, here is an update...

I have taped up the loose wire which quite probably was shorting to earth causing the fan to run on. Will try to resolder the spade terminal back on to the sensor or replace soon.

After refilling with coolant (never had coolant before!) and running the engine to check for leaks etc. all seemed fine until I tried the car heater... No heat :mad: , but after a while, the coolant level dropped a little, so topped up and later on seemed ok. So maybe an airlock? Which ment the heater matrix was dry??? Anyway, all seemed fine.

One possible slight (coolant anyhoo) problem left, when I drove the car this evening, temp gauge was ok, but on the way back, didn't seem to budge??? But the MFA was registering a steady 98/100c. May be cos I pressure washed the engine bay after all the work? Maybe causing another intermittent joint?

I'll keep you all posted, once again, thanks for all the input! :mrgreen:

when I drove the car this evening, temp gauge was ok, but on the way back, didn't seem to budge??? But the MFA was registering a steady 98/100c. May be cos I pressure washed the engine bay after all the work? Maybe causing another intermittent joint?

is that a problem :?: temp seems fine, are you saying your temp guage stuck on zero?

when I drove the car this evening, temp gauge was ok, but on the way back, didn't seem to budge??? But the MFA was registering a steady 98/100c. May be cos I pressure washed the engine bay after all the work? Maybe causing another intermittent joint?

is that a problem :?: temp seems fine, are you saying your temp guage stuck on zero?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The analogue gauge seemed to be stuck at zero on the return journey, whilst the MFA temp reading was registering 98/100 degs.

Another little fault that will appear and disappear just long enough to annoy me... :roll:

The MFA is reading oil temp. The gauge is water temp, if you steamed the engine maybe you have blown the wire off the sender. Have a look around the under the dissy and at the back of the engine. I cannot remember which sender is where. Gavin

The MFA is reading oil temp. The gauge is water temp, if you steamed the engine maybe you have blown the wire off the sender. Have a look around the under the dissy and at the back of the engine. I cannot remember which sender is where. Gavin

Are you stalking me! :-P

Oil temp... I knew that! :oops:

Cheers buddy! :D

Hi sorry to butt in on this tread :D but what should the oil and water temps be when up to temp. Im lookin to find out for my valver.

Cheers J

normal temps are around:

oil between 90 and 120

water between 90 and 110

All Corrados vary slightly in their running temps... The water temp gauge is about as accurate as calling the Pope secular, so don't believe the numbers on it too much! If it goes up much more than usual, be a little concerned and check to see if there's anything obviously wrong if the oil temps have gone up too, but other than that, if it's running OK, the fan works, and it doesn't feel like it's red hot under the bonnet after a run, then don't panic... 8)

My car is running fine and the oil temp on the MFA is about 100 so im a happy chap, Cheers Henny :D

hi guys im new to the site but im racking my brain on where the temp sender is on my 1.816v 1990 corrado ,ive changed the 2 pin long sensor under the housing on the side of the block (if the right one thertes loads around there) could anyone tel me which is which?