Sign in to follow this  
Storm

XKR - Thoughts

my dads got an XK8 coupe.. its quite nice, although I think theres something wrong with his, as at 90mph + it feels very unstable - almost like the back end was weaving. Not a very comforting feeling :?

thats not a bad price, 34k

pimping on 20"s too 8)

i work at mercedes and £34 will only buy you a silly SLK

damn merc's are so overpriced for what they are

go for the jag its a beast :mrgreen:

Thats what I was thinking. Theres no comparison to this car outside of a new shape SL500. I just hope I like it.

Thats what I was thinking. Theres no comparison to this car outside of a new shape SL500. I just hope I like it.

of course there's always the older shape 500SL :wink: .........i'm pretty sure the XK is a XJ-S with a new party frock so the chassis dynamics will be older than the just replaced SL.......i would rather go german tbh than british i'm afraid to say

I remember it getting good reviews when it came out, and iirc, Top Gear dragged it against a M5 and a Merc and the jag won.

well i was half-right

"West Hollywood, California—

Jaguar's XK convertible and coupe are getting old, but a ground-up renewal of the six-year-old car is about as likely as a tennis match between Dubya and Saddam. Most of Jaguar's research and development allotment went to the new 2004 XJ sedan, so for the foreseeable future, the XK has to make do with a day at the local gym rather than a week at the Golden Door spa.

But the XK already was accustomed to making the most of something old (a derivative of the ancient XJS platform), something new (the AJ-V8 engine), something borrowed . . . you get the picture. For 2003, changes focus decidedly on the new. The V-8, which is mated to a new ZF six-speed automatic transmission, grows from 4.0 to 4.2 liters, resulting in more horsepower and torque for both the normally aspirated XK8 (294 horsepower, 303 pound-feet) and the supercharged XKR (390 horsepower, 399 pound-feet). Manually shifting the traditional J-gate now provides readily identifiable detents rather than the feeling that you're pushing a wooden spoon through a vat of mashed potatoes. Jaguar claims 0-to-60-mph times of 6.3 and 5.3 seconds, respectively, for the XK8 and XKR convertibles."

full story here btw http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0212_Jaguar_XK/

hope that helps :wink:

My mate took me out in an XJR - the bigger, heavier saloon version - when he worked at a valeting company. I was stunned at the acceleration of the thing considering its size and weight. I think they quote around 5.7 seconds for the XJR 0 - 60. Damn impressive performance but the finish for a new car was terrible. This was about three years ago I'd say.