Sign in to follow this  
mildmanneredjanitor

Accessory position

I've had this prob a long time now and it's time to sort it!

I seem to remember a long time ago on the Yahoo forum someone else had the same problem. I cannot seem to find a source of power when the key is in the accessory position? Fine for ignition on (but this is a nuisance when sat in the car).

I think one of the posters said that they had a capacitor replaced which remedied this prob?

The wiring was pretty hideous when I bought the car, butchered is a term that springs to mind... :evil:

Anyway, all the fuses are ok, I even tested for power at the fusebox with the ignition in the Acc position but to no avail.

So, any pointers? TIA

The black wire in the ign switch loom is what I use to inhibit alarms.

If that's not what you want, probe the other wires at the switch. Later VWs have a wire that is live with the key in the ign. On my K plate Passat and mk3 I think you have to turn the ign to position 1 and off to get the radio on with the ign lights out.

For your reference, the thick red is always live, the thick red/black is the starter, the black is the ign live. One of the others may be what you want.

I don't see the problem with having the ign lights on while listening to the stereo. In the old dayd of cars with points it was bad to have the ign switched on like that. The points would be closed and power would flow through the coil constantly causing them to overheat. With electonic ign, this doesn't happen. The coil only charges when the engine rotates, the hall sender is the new points.

Gavin

Thanks for the advice Gavin, I may have a probe at the ignition barrel itself like you suggest, but I wanted to put it right if possible...

As for having the ignition on, I didn't think it would do the fuel pump/s any good being pressurised without the engine running... already replaced the fuel pump once! (which I replaced myself after the local mechanics just went 'Ooooohh, argh, mmmm - expensive...' whilst scratching themselves...) :roll:

These looms of yours... are they very effective? How muchos?

I thought the dim glow eminating from the front of the Corrado was a deliberately menancing stealth feature??? :mrgreen:

The pumps only runs to prime the system, which should be at or near full pressure all the time. Pressure needs to be maintained to facilitate quick starting. So that wouldn't be a problem. If your pumps runs all the time then something is wrong. It is also dangerous. In the event of an accident it may pump petrol all over the shop. The pump is triggered by the ECU when the engine is turning and should stop if the engine stalls.

I'll send you a PM about the looms in a minute.

Gavin

I had a the same problem in my golf, and when I metered it back I found hat is was the ignition barrel that was at fault.

I took it apart and fixed it, this was a very fiddly job that I wouldnt recomend, only for me to short it and blow it again, so I bought a new cap, wasnt that expencive.

I had a the same problem in my golf, and when I metered it back I found hat is was the ignition barrel that was at fault.

I took it apart and fixed it, this was a very fiddly job that I wouldnt recomend, only for me to short it and blow it again, so I bought a new cap, wasnt that expencive.

Cheers Gibber,

could you tell me a little more about the 'cap', where is it located etc. Is this part of the ignition barrel? And if anyone knows the correct description or even part number... That'll be lovely! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the PM Gavin, that'll have to wait a while... Chrimbo, taxbill etc. :cry:

As regards the pump, no it doesn't run all the time, just takes a second to prime on turning the ignition on. (well the pump just forward of the offside rear wheel) but call me old fashioned, it just goes against the grain to leave the iggy on for any length of time. :|

The cap is the electrical switch fastened to the bottom of the ignition barrel, and it is available seperately.

Just thought I would let you know case you trace it back to the barrel and still have no joy.

Im sure some one on here will give you the part number and correct name!

No worries mate. If you want a loom, PM me in early december so that I don't have to sit up Christmas eve trying to fill all the orders.

And tell the Taxman to 'ram it' from me. I'll be doing my return on jan 31st at 11.59 pm. Just like last year :mrgreen:

The cap is the electrical switch fastened to the bottom of the ignition barrel, and it is available seperately.

Just thought I would let you know case you trace it back to the barrel and still have no joy.

Im sure some one on here will give you the part number and correct name!

Cheers Gibber!

And tell the Taxman to 'ram it' from me. I'll be doing my return on jan 31st at 11.59 pm. Just like last year

So the Cheque will be to Mr Gavin and not "Headlight Looms 'R' us Ltd" then! :p

:-P

You've got it. I put enough in Blairs pockets already :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Talking of which.... I suppose I'd better go and earn some for Mr Gordo!

Spend waaaaaay to much time on forums... and I go and join this one too :oops:

sure some one on here will give you the part number and correct name!

There's a full how to guide in the how to guide section... ;) 8)