Sign in to follow this  
Dboy

True or false?

I bought my latest G60 about 3 months ago, it came with Koni top adjustables and eibach springs. Whilst im very pleased with how the car handles, i'm still not entirely happy with the ride height and would like it lowered a bit.

However, when i visited a reputable tuning accessories company, one of the sales team there told me that i couldnt lower it with koni top adjustables on it because it would break them (something about 'the pin' in the konis being pushed too far in) - and that unless i bought coilovers i couldnt do anything about it.

Now i took the advice of a salesman once before many moons ago, only to find out later that he was talking out of his a**e.

My car runs 16" wheels with 215/40/16 tyres - im not after a seriously slammed car, just one that sits nicely on the rims.

so my question is, can i lower my car while running koni adjustables or am i going to have to ditch it all in favour of a new setup?

mchos gracias

just give koni a call there tech department will soon tell you.

I do know this that koni gas shock make the C sit higher than the standard setup, now are the ones you have Gas?

I dont think they are. Not too sure how to tell?

It doesnt sit higher than standard, but still too high for me lol!

Dboy,

After much deliberating I have just put Koni adjustables & shorter springs (25-30mm) on my VR. Before I did this I confirmed with several reputable tuning places and with Koni that the struts (shocks- call em what u will) are a single fixed size and that putting a shorter spring on was not a problem. But, as with all things there will be a limit to how low you can go with them b4 you'll need to go for coilovers. Guess it all depends on how low you wanna go.

Like G60Jet says, give Koni a bell to be certain

for what it worth hth

pretty sure the adjustable bit on the koni yellows isn't a height adjustment, its a dampening adjustment... harder or softer, but the ride height stays the same.

maybe you have 'sport' springs and you need 'race' springs...

The yellow konis don`t have shortened damper rods as far as i`m aware, they are designed to work with std or slightly lowered springs.

I ran mine on my golf for 2 years with a 50mm drop and had no problems though. 8)

cheers for replies guys. mines ever so slightly lower than standard

my last c was lowered 40mm and my latest one isnt as low - so maybe i would get away with a little drop then 8)

i'll give koni a call tho just to be sure - dont fancy screwing up an otherwise sound set of konis

2CC,

I know you were mulling the Koni's over for some time. Are you happy with the results? How does the car drive & look now?

jims16v

Hi Jim. What is it with computers? Just spent a while answering you and the damn thing dropped me off the server and lost my post. Grrr

Good news is I now have somewhere with heat, light, power and a ramp to work on the c

First w/e I put in the new rears, then tried the fronts and found the top plates fell inside the springs :( So replaced all original. Supplier sends new set during the week.

2nd w/e discover vag have supplied the wrong front dust covers :x so can't fit fronts till later in week. Also do arb drop links and mounts - lord are they a pain to get off.

Slow drive to dealers on Sat for re-alignment and collect new rear discs etc for Sunday's job. Slow drive back as well coz it's traffic , traffic, traffic.

Fit 1st disc, dreaming of a blast later. Take 2nd disc out of box only to find it has 4 stud holes :mad:

Give dealer grief on monday and man delivers new disc within the hour. Later, suffer major 3rd party distraction positioning on ramp resulting in - pillar 1 door 0. Now I have a dent & paint damage right on the ridge line aaaarrrrgggghhhh :cry: :cry: I can be very inventive when I swear.

Then spent several hours trying to shift the last allen screw (why do they use those things?) from the calliper carriage bracket. But eventually its all on and its only 0115 and off to bed in high dudgeon.

Today am too pig sick to shift the tools out the back and go for a spin. It does feel better at low speed though, tighter, and may be my imagination but steering feels lighter as well.

As for looks, it hasn't come down as much as I was expecting - guess my old springs were pretty tired. But looks ok at the back, specially from the rear. Not sure about the front may need down just a tad more. But am expecting them to settle a bit as they bed in so won't know for a while.

Did I bore you?

I'll get me coat......

Theory is great but in practice it is often different!

My VR is dropped too far and i have to go over speed bumps diagonally and have a mashed exhaust, a dented sump and a damaged splitter at the front! :cry:

Don't go too far as in reality it is not so practical !

Chris

See what I mean?

Chris, OUCH!

That's why I didn't want to go more than 25/30 and taken so long deciding whether to do it or not. But I can just get on the ramp ok so think it's about right. Might take it out to play tonight now I've calmed down a bit

Jims16v,

The answer to your question, just been out frightening myself meeting LARGE agricultural things on country lanes.

But she does handle much better, stays pretty well flat on the corners now not rolling like she used to; pitch/wallow eliminated too; all adjusted to full soft initially so now need to try a range of settings. Does feel quite different now and needs getting used to; I've been getting the back end breaking away on hard braking which was a little surprising :shock: Could I have been going too fast? :lol:

R u going s/pod sunday?

I'm no expert on this but the rear brakes on the Corrado have a special bias adjustment that detects how much the rear suspension is lowered. If there is a lot of weight in the back of the car is shifts the bias towards the back to compensate. If the car has been lowered and this adjuster has not been correctly re-set then the result can be a dramatic (and quite dangerous) shift in brake bias towards the rear of the car as the sensor thinks that your lower ride height is a result of excess weight in the back.

Probably you already know all about this and have done the adjustment, I just thought I would mention it as what you are describing is the exact sympton from this problem.

HTH

grugh,

thanks for the info m8, but as you surmised I looked into this b4 the change and was assured that no adjustment necessary for this amount of drop. btw the car was empty, well 'cept for me & the spare wheel. I'll see how it behaves as I put some miles on it.

Like I said, it could have been pie............