Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Overheating G60!!!

Well I got home fdrom work today and sitting on the stairs in my house was a switch that looks just like the ones I've just bought!!!! Said to my mum "where did this come from?", she said "was lying around the house, has been for ages" how pi$$ed off am I? Turns out it is the black 1.4+/-0.2 bar one which I assume is the one to replace the aftermarket switch in my car. However, the black switch on my car is on the oil filter housing closest to the block. The part number for the black switch I bought was 068919081 and is 1.2-1.6 bar. The part number on the one my mum found is 068919081. Would I be right in assuming that either I have the wrong part or the switch I bought is an updated version for the one on the oil filter housing furthest from the block? Thinking I've got the wrong bits!!! Blue 0.15-0.35 bar sender is for righ of block where oil feed to charger is, this bit is at least correct. The other one mentioned above has me stumped though!

On a different note... how's the head-work coming along Henny? Are you still being forced to drive the dreaded PUNTO?

On a different note... how's the head-work coming along Henny? Are you still being forced to drive the dreaded PUNTO?

The head arrived today... Well, I went and picked it up from the courier company who'd completely managed to f~£$ up delivering it on the day they were supposed to... :roll:

I'm gonna have a crack at skiving off work tomorrow afternoon and getting the car back in one piece... I'll have a look at the oil sender part numbers then for ya...

And, yes, I am still driving the hired Punto... and paying £125 per week for the "experience" too... :mad: Please don't rub it in too much... I do still own 2 VWs, although neither of them has an engine in at the moment! :roll: :lol:

Not rubbing it in mate, I know how you feel. When my Golf GTi was getting assessed (and eventually written off) I had a 1-litre Pug 206... nasty! The g/f has a new Punto and it's not that bad.. but nothig compared to the C obviously. Good luck with the jigsaw mate.

Henny, did you manage to get the part numbers for the swithches and senders I need or was it a mad to rush to get the car reay for Tatton? Good to hear you got it sorted in time and were able to show it off to others. :p

Henny, did you manage to get the part numbers for the swithches and senders I need or was it a mad to rush to get the car reay for Tatton? Good to hear you got it sorted in time and were able to show it off to others. :p

Mad rush doesn't even come close... test ran it Saturday night at 11pm and then found a fuel leak sunday morning at 6:30 :roll:

Tatton wasn't the goal... not having the hire car on Monday was the inspiration so I wouldn't have to spend another £125 on a hire car... :shock:

I have the part numbers written down (I didn't forget! :p ) and I'll bung 'em up when I get out of work tonight... :D

Thanks very much Henny, you're a life saver :thumbleft: If it had been me trying to get my car up and running, I'd probably forget. Thanks again mate :pirate:

id check

blue and black temp switches. clean all the crap off them. this willhelp give a better reading.

remove radiator and jet wash it. inside and out. mine threw out brown/black water for a few minutes. a lot better now(when waters in there)

id check

blue and black temp switches. clean all the crap off them. this willhelp give a better reading.

remove radiator and jet wash it. inside and out. mine threw out brown/black water for a few minutes. a lot better now(when waters in there)

It's oil temps and oil pressure biggrim's having problems with readings of...

I'll sling the numbers up here in a mo... I've just got to find them in the pile of stuff I made up for doing my rebuild! :roll: :lol:

Right, here we go, part numbers time... 8)

Having stripped down my G60 to below head level I had a look at the sensors, my Bently CD and at ETKA and have now got the part numbers, wiring colours, locations and functions written down... :roll:

So you should have:

On the side of the head where the G60 oil feed pipe is, we have a blue wire with a black tracer connected to the 0.25BAR low oil pressure switch (028 919 081 D) it's the same on most VW 1.8 4 cylinder engines (mine's now off a KR 16V after destroying the original one in a fit of stupidity! :shock: :oops: :lol: )

On the FRONT of the oil filter head we have a green wire with a black trace which connects to the small oil TEMP sensor (049 919 563 A) which is, again, common to most VW 1.8 4 cylinder cars with a 0 - 150 degree C temp range...

At the BACK of the oil filter head, we have a yellow wire which connects to the higher oil pressure switch of which there are 3 types... The one you want is 056 919 081 E which is the 1.8Bar switch (named as "1,8BAR 1 pin white" on ETKA)

Then there is a blue wire with a white trace on it, which as I guessed at earlier in this thread, IS for the optional oil pressure gauge and should be tied up out of the way... :D

The sender (251 919 501 D) that they've sold you, Biggrim is the water temp sender for the dash and goes in the flange on the front of the engine where the radiator top hose joins the block. Typical stealers not being able to read Etka properly! :roll:

So: The two senders that you've bought (068 919 081 and 028 919 081D) will do the job OK... The first one isn't actually correct, but that shouldn't be a huge problem. The bit you need to buy is 049 919 563A which is the oil temp sender from the front of the oil filter head.

The two oil pressure switches DO look entirely too big for the holes that they screw into, but they do go in! :? :lol:

Good luck... I'm hoping that this should sort this for you once and for all! :D

Cool Henny, cheers for that. Will order the correct parts on thursday and hopefully they will take the wrong ones back.

So will I be able to connect my pressure gauge up to the blue/white connector then?

Only if you've got the original option gauge and sender and know where the other end of the wiring goes to... :?

Your best bet is to get the original stuff working as it left the factory, and then buy a T piece so that you can keep the original senders and add the pressure sender for your after market gauge... That's what I did on my MKI golf and what I'm planning to do with my G60 when the funds become available for my new gauges I'm planning... 8)

2 PMs that may help others and with Biggrim's consent...

Cheers for the part numbers and stuff, I'm gonna order the bits on thursday. Last night on the chat room, banana man (Ant) got some part numbers also (before you put your on the thread) and they are different from yours. You both agree on the one closest to the radiator and the right side of the block but the one closest to the block (oil pressure switch) is different. You have 056919081E in your car and he told me he had 068919081 in his. Is there much difference in these parts cause I now don't know which one to order. I know I'm being a pain and pestering you again but does someone have the wrong part or was it perhaps changed or something simple like that? There is alway a complication in the end .

I replied:

Hey up!

It's not a problem, I'm happy to help... I've had enough assistance from this place to warrant putting some back!

The part 068 919 081 that you mention is a 1.4Bar pressure switch, which is the one that you've already bought. I mentioned in my last reply that this will also do the job... It could well be that the 1.8bar one I've got in mine is wrong! After 216K miles it wouldn't suprise me if it's been changed!

The two parts are interchangable they're the same size and fittings etc, it's just the pressure they activate at that's different... Fit the one you've got and you'll be fine...

The only bit that you need by the sound of things, is the temp sender 049 919 563A which fits in the front hole on the filter housing which both Ant and I agree on numbers with and the parts muppet supplied you with the water temp sensor!

Screw 'em in, wire 'em up and see what happens!

Good luck, and don't worry about asking more questions... By the look of things, this thread has helped LOTS of people...

Do you mind if I add your PM and this answer onto the thread so that people can follow what's going on?

Ta...

Are the temps different in Europe than they are in the US?

Ive had lots of problems with my G60 overheating all the time. Were talking sitting at a stop light and the oil temp is up to 232. I changed the thermostat last year, and just put in my 3rd radiator fan (they keep braking) but it seems my fan chooses when it wants to work. Im not sure what else to try either, and have pretty much given up. Just put some antifreeze in it since i have to put water in every 3-4 days and that helped a little bit.

that would explain it. F.

I was gonna say... 232 deg C?!?

Whoa! Melted head time... That's 449.6 degrees Farenheight... :shock: :onfire:

Glad that's cleared up... :lol:

salinas22 What does your water temp read when it's at 232? (111Deg C) 111 isn't that high an oil temp for a G60.... I hit that regularly on my way into Manchester which is one of the wettest and coldest places in England... :roll: :? (most of the year anyway!)

If you have to put water in it every 2/3 days then you've got a coolant leak somewhere and this will make your temps go higher 'cos the G60 is a pressurised system which helps keep the temps down when you use the proper G11 or G12+ coolant... Find your leak and you should be able to sort out your over heating problem.... Remember that the oil cooler on a standard (even US spec) G60 is water cooled with coolant from the normal radiator and can actually act as a heater if there's a problem with the water system... :?

Update!!!! Fitted the bits this afternoon so I'm just gonna take her a run into town and see what happens. Will let you know how it goes. Hopefully everything will read nice and normal. Wish me luck :p

Woo-hoo :D :D :D :D :D :D temps are reading --- till 50 then up to 95-112 in traffic. water temp 90 and stays there or thereabouts. no beeps, no lights, just perfect... so far. Tahnks very much for your help Henny and Ant (BANANA MAN) and everyone else who has given me help on this 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D 8) :p:p:p:p:p

Woo-hoo Tahnks very much for your help Henny and Ant (BANANA MAN) and everyone else who has given me help on this 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D 8) :p:p:p:p:p

virtual pints all round then biggrim?? :wink: :lol: :lol:

YAY!!! :D 8) 8)

no much wonder your going YAY!!!!!!!.henny......biggrim must be due you a brewery :lol: :lol: LOL