Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

new unit

I have just received my new headunit and I am pathetic with the wiring. There is something about wiring specifically for VW/Audis but it is not really that clear.

I rememeber with previous units that I connected the permanent live and ignition live together then this is connected to the live (yellow) terminal on the head unit. The red wire from the unit it then redundant.

Is this right?

You usually connect the red and yellow of the headunit together. Then connect the two of them to the permanent live in the car.

The yellow on the HU is often the perm live which keeps the memory alive. The red is the thicker one that the power goes thru.

I would be surprised if your 93 doesn't have a proper ign feed from the switch. My 93 Passat does.

Gavin

I connected the yellow and red together then connected them to the red/white lead but nowt is happeneing. There is a red/brown (ignition live) that is not used.

Earth connected? Blown fuse, car or HU? Can you use a volt meter? Probe the wires and see if there is anything there. I have seen HUs that needed to have a switch flicked if they were to be used without an ign live.

Gavin

As soon as I typed that last message I thought "fuse". Thats what it was :oops: .

Bloody aerial connection is dodgy now!! :mad: