Sign in to follow this  
morgan

speedo needle jumps

can anyone help with a problem i'm having with my speedo?

after a couple of hours running,when u lift off the throttle the needle bounces up and down and doesnt settle until u put the throttle back on.

when this is happening u can knock it out of gear or dump the clutch and the needle settles down' but if u put it back in gear without applying the trottle the needle starts to bounce again.

if anyone has solved a similar problem or has any ideas i would appreciate any help.

thanks in advance

barry morgan

What age is your G60? - If its an electric speedo then check the wiring then try changing the speed sensor on the gearbox (about £15 from VW and easy to change)

have you had a clutch change lately as they mostly go wrong after monkeys drop the gearbox on the ground with the sensor still in there or stretch the wiring by forgetting its there...

yup, had this exact thing on my G60 not long after I got her...

Mine was cured after I stripped the clocks down and replaced the lighting in 'em to change the colour... I'm guessing it was a dodgy connection either in the wiring to the clocks, or on the gauge itself... either way, it's sorted out now and was so much better afterwards... 8)

I have a similar problem whereby sometimes the needle doesn't respond to changes in speed. Eg. you drive into a village from an open A road and slow from say 70-80mph to ~30. The speedo stays up at 70-80 for quite a while before dropping down to the new speed. Same also happens when accelerating. It's only happened on about four journeys over the last year and otherwise behaves perfectly. However, once it starts to do it, it stays like that for the rest of the journey! I'll check my wiring and speed sensor. Thanks Supercharged!

I am almost certain that it is the speedo itself as a slap to the top of the dashboard often sees the needle jump to the correct speed.

I have never removed the clocks from the car before, is this a simple job?

How would you recommend I fix this, I was just going to check the connections and look for dust/dirt and maybe lightly oil the needle mechanism.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

OK, thread revival time!

After 3 years of perfect behaviour from my speedo, this problem has come back.

It's probably got something to do with the fact my car has been off the road for over 6 months for a full respray (more on that when I get a few minor niggles with the job sorted out).

Pretty certain it's some sort of problem with the speedo itself. The spoiler goes up and down as my "real" speed increases/decreases and my mileometer seems to be accurate, despite the speedo reading.

The speedo doesn't "bounce", it seems to stick (see previous posts above for more details). And can still show a speed when the engine is switched off and the key removed.

Looking at Henny's post above, it seems like getting the clocks out for a look sounds like a plan. How easy a job is this?

Any pointers much appreciated.

ive just experienced similar problems with mine, although the coolant and oil light are slightly lit and look they have a little current goign to them and the rev needle bounces all over the place untill it all stops working? is this the sender on the gearbox or something in the actual clock wiring? its a 92 g60 too? any helps much appreciated please :)

ive just experienced similar problems with mine, although the coolant and oil light are slightly lit and look they have a little current goign to them and the rev needle bounces all over the place untill it all stops working? is this the sender on the gearbox or something in the actual clock wiring? its a 92 g60 too? any helps much appreciated please :)

I'm no expert but your symptoms sound more like a bad earth or something if you've got slightly lit lights as well.