Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Fan and fuel pump

Hi guys,

just noticed recently, that when I switch off my G60, after a longish run (well long enough to get the engine hot), the fan cuts in after a few seconds, and a few seconds after that, what sounds like the fuel pump cuts in as well. They then stay on for around 10 mins.

Is that normal?

Another thing that happens sometimes in conjunction with the above, is that when the fan and fuel pump seem to be on, the car will not turn over to start!

Any ideas to that as well?

cheers.

Hi guys,

just noticed recently, that when I switch off my G60, after a longish run (well long enough to get the engine hot), the fan cuts in after a few seconds, and a few seconds after that, what sounds like the fuel pump cuts in as well. They then stay on for around 10 mins.

Is that normal?

yup, that's normal... :) As long as they don't keep going for more than about 10 minutes you're OK... It's the run-on system working properly (for a nice change!) 8)

Another thing that happens sometimes in conjunction with the above, is that when the fan and fuel pump seem to be on, the car will not turn over to start!

That doesn't sound right at all... :| Could be your immobiliser/alarm not being happy about the run-on circuit being active, or something else entirely... :|

ok, this has now got to the point where the car will rarely start at all, with out a push! Im getting someone to rip out the immobiliser this afternoon, but does anyone have any other ideas as to what it may be, in case its not that?

I replaced the ignition switch not long back, so im guessing its not that, but i do remember reading somewhere about the earth strap from the battery oxidising? could that be a cause? Has anyone got any pics of exactly which part that is? I fink I know, but i want to be sure, and i may as well replace that while im there.

the earth strap is dead easy to spot. ;)

On the battery, it's the one connected to the -ve terminal. The clamp is actually part of the earth strap on a genuine cable, and should then run down the back of the battery where it's got a bolt holding it onto the chassis leg by the back of the battery tray. It then carries on into the enginebay and bolts onto the gearbox. 8)