Sign in to follow this  
kiefersublime

G60 Speedo and rear wing caught speeding!

Well, I just bought my 90 G60 which means I also just got my first speeding ticket. I don't think its my fault (naturally) but I do think I know the problem. I'm pretty sure the speedo is off but I'm not sure by how much. I know that the rear wing raises at a certain speed. I thought I read somewhere that is at 47mph but I'm not sure. Can someone please fill me in. I'd much rather spend $150 on the car and not because of the car.

Thanks,

Stephen

PS Any input will help alot. :roll:

The speedo's tend to slightly over-estimate road speed. At 40mph it will be fairly accurate. Speedo accuracy is also affected by the wheel diameter that you have.

Judging your speed by looking at the boot spoiler isn't the best way to keep a clean licence......... :roll:

The road speed at which the spoiler raises is slightly different on each Corrado & is set by the value of a resistor in the spoiler control unit. The resistance value of the resistor denotes the road speed at which the spoiler rises.. :wink:

Your car is likely to have been imported with a spoiler which would rise at 80mph - as per european spec. The resistors on the early cars were changed at the supplying dealers so that the spoilers rise at a lower (legal) speed.

Yeah, I know that feeling, getting caught speeding just owning the Rado G60. The same happened to me, driving mine home from Aberdeen, where I'd bought mine, nicely cruising along in the dusk, when suddenly 2 bright flashes illuminated the sky, and I got that feeling that literally all the other cars were laughing, pointing at me going "It was him, it was him!"

Luckily the camera proved to be empty :lol:

Yup, all the others have already mentioned the issue with setting the speed at which the spoiler raises by means of a resistor inside the spoiler controller unit. I'm still toying with the idea of just running a pot to the resistor location and replace it, so that you can in effect regulate the speed at which the spoiler raises on the fly, so to speak. One day I'll get round to that :lol:

Tempest