Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

belt slippage?

other than checking the boost, is there another way of detecting belt slippage on a g60?

does the belt automatically tension? time for a new belt perhaps?

yes, the belt does self tension... that's what the big shock absorber thingy which attaches next to the alternator is for... ;)

A new belt won't hurt and may help with slippage... A quick trick would be to use some talc on the belt (my local Merc garage swears by Brut talc for this kind of thing :| ) and see if it makes any difference... if it does, then change the belt for a nice new one... 8)

would the brand of talc affect the performance do you think? dont want to use tesco value if the traction wont be as good as tesco finest?lol!

on a serious note i mite well try this, cheers

I know it sounds silly, but the guys at Merc have tried all sorts of talc and say that the Brut stuff works the best?!? :wink: :o :lol:

no im not trying to mock you mate. i can see the logic its just not the respose i expected LOL!!!

the dub isnt going anywhere at the moment so i havent given it a try!!

could do a product test on which talc is best?!

what do you reckon!!

I blasted mine with a can of brake cleaner. You could tell it had been slipping cos the engine slowed down a touch and then picked back up.

Gavin

More likely the tensioner unit, the rubber bushes at each end perish with age, (especially if it been off a few times to change belts, charger rebuilds, waterpump etc) and the damper starts to run off centre wearing against the spring, mine was knackerd at 80k and had only been off once to change the V belt.

About £50 from VW for the whole unit.