Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Thought I'd fixed it!!!!!

Hey everyone. Typical this time of year I get 2 leaks inside the car and just before i went on holiday. Anyway, when I got back I stripped the interior out so I could source the leaks. I found them both:-

1) Fan blower seal from engine bay to passenger footwell - SORTED

2) Passenger side door membrane roundabout speaker - SORTED ...... until today :cry:

I had stripped the door down and removed the old scabby plastic membrane which was "held" on with sealant. I then made my own makeshift (it was only meant to see it through the winter) plastic membrane held on with double sided tape and gaffa tape. Messy I know and quite pirimitive but it worked on the drivers side very well. It passed the hose test and the subsequent wash the car tests so I thought everything was ok. Until the rain came on last night and it came down HEAVY!!!!!

Went out to the car today and the passenger carpet is a wee bit wet. Nothing to worry too much about but I'd rathter get it sorted before i ruin my new passenger side sound deadening which cost me about £40. Can someone please answer a couple of questions for me?

What is the part number for the foamy membrane stuff you get from the dealer in a roll?

Any idea how much it costs?

What is the best and most effective method of attaching the foam to the door that will stop my car smelling like a tramp's shoe?

Thanks in advance :(

The foams about a fiver a roll, dunno the part number but its a generic part that you cut to fit so they should find it easy enough. VW will also be kind enough to sell you the proper sealant to stick it if u want, its black sticky stuff that doesnt set, so you can remove the membrane and stick it back on without having to use it again. Think thats about £8 a cartridge.

Phoned the dealer today and ordered the foamy stuff (cheers for the part number silverfox) and some sort of double sided adhesive to stick it on. Also ordered a new rocker cover gasket as mine is leaking a wee bit. Total cost £34.71 INC VAT but hopefully I'll get it down to £31.24 with my VWCCGB discount. Should be in tomorrow morning so I can get it sorted tomorrow afternoon. Joe, the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't have a clue what I was on about when I asked for the sealant stuff, "all that's listed is double sided tape stuff at £12.54 + VAT" so just got that. And he says that'll be enough for ONE side!!!! Stealers indeed :x

Joe, the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't have a clue what I was on about when I asked for the sealant stuff, "all that's listed is double sided tape stuff at £12.54 + VAT" so just got that. And he says that'll be enough for ONE side!!!! Stealers indeed :x

1K Adhesive sealant: for sealing rubber-mounted vehicle windows and for fitting and sealing the door damp-seal sheeting. Durably elastic, black.

Part number: D 469 101 A3

Its a cartridge to go into a silicone gun and should be more than enough for 2 doors, and I think it was about £12.

Hey everyone. Typical this time of year I get 2 leaks inside the car and just before i went on holiday. Anyway, when I got back I stripped the interior out so I could source the leaks. I found them both:-

Hey man ive got this issue too, how did you go about fixing it??

Its not been good. Strangely my vr has never had a seal on the passenger door since I bought the car and its never leaked. Ive still got the membranes and sealant sitting in my room that were bought in February. Just checked my receipt and I was £22 for the 2 membranes and sealant.

Hey man ive got this issue too, how did you go about fixing it??

Clean it all up and reseal with silicone. Good idea to sort it soon as possible as when the water gets in there it heads straight for the abs control unit if fitted.