Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

Hoorah, got my car back :o)

Wotcha,

Just got my 'rado back from the garage, and it's had the stat, housing and the long plastic pipe with the drain plug in it replaced. It now sits rock steady at 80°C on the motorway. Still gets hot in traffic, but that doesn't seem to be abnormal although I might investigate if the 2nd stage fans are working at some point.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who advised! (in this thread)

Cheers,

--

Olly

Funny, I've just got mine back today too, had a new thermostat and housing and also a speed sensor which has hopefully cured the misfire I had. Mine also sits at 80 degrees and 96-98 on the oil if it's cruising. what's this about a 2nd stage fan and how do you test it?

Wotcha. The cooling fans have slow and fast speeds, and are controlled by a thermal switch in the rad side-tank. There's 4 pins in the connector on this switch, and bridging between diagonally opposite pins make the fans come on. One diagonal pair is slow, the other is fast. Bridging them checks whether the fan controller and so on is working. Mine is, I checked it before I had the 'stat replaced.

However, from reading on here it seems the thermal switch itself is quite a common failure, and I don't think I've heard stage 2 kick in (it's noisy!). Not sure what temperature it's supposed to happen at though!

Yarr,

--

Olly

Didn't get quite to 100 in traffic earlier, but then again I wasn't stuck big time. I'm pretty sure the fans were on slow, so I think I'll probably bodge in a switch to let me turn the fast fans on manually until I can drain the coolant and fit a new switch.

Cheers!

--

Olly