Sign in to follow this  
trackman

Corrado for the track

I'd be more inclined to prep a Golf or Polo as a trackday car. I'm by no means disputing the Corrado's abilitys as a track day beast, it's just Polo's and Golfs are a little more of a disposible comodity than Corrado's. If you have a little 'Off' in a Polo or Golf replacement panels will cost you a few pound and are easierly obtained. Corrado bits are a little more scarce.

There is a lot of weight that can be binned out of a Corrado to bring even a stock power car to life. If it is not needed ...bin it.. cheapest form of increasing performance. Slut steel wheels which will accomodate a nice brake package, jack off the ABS if fitted and fit a pedal box, nylon/poly, paddle clutch when you kill the original item suspention bushes and coilovers. If funds allow Diff, seam weld the chassis and a nice cage to make the beast a little more ridged.

Very late, but here's my take on it...

I'm slowly (blinkin' snails move quicker than the progress I make on the car) building a stripped out and road legal Corrado for track days and MSA Sprints. If I'd listened to my head, then I'd have bought a Pug205 or gone the Mk2 with 2l 16v route....I kick myself as I had a chance of a fully prep'd 1.9 205. Though I'm a Corrado nut and love 'em too much to consider anything else so went with the heart choice.

Second mistake, bought a tatty G60. I had a BRM and AMD'd 195bhp/200lbft one a few years back (J***WBO) and just had to have a G60 again. Now I worry about an exploding SC...

I now realise I should have gone for a cheap 1.8l 16v. Stripped it out, sold the bits I didn't need. Added G60 brakes and coil overs. I'd be at the tracks by now!! Then sought proper power by installing 20vT later on. Car has to be 200+bhp/ton to be mildly interesting from what I've had before.

Instead I'm waiting for details on Jabba's IHI turbo kit for the G60 8v. Will need to change the head later on for a KR or perhaps Xflow to be different, after getting a Peloquin diff and rebuilt 1st+2nd G60 box.

Think all glass apart from windscreen should be replaced with Polycarb' and hopefully get a GRP bonnet made up. That might knock some of the lard out of the Corrado.

Bleedin' short story that ... should really do what I'm paid to do now.